Red Sox vs. Phillies matchups, 6/13
|06.13.10 at 9:59 am ET|
The Red Sox and Phillies square off for the sixth and final time this season on Sunday afternoon. The Red Sox own the all-time series with a 26-16 record over the Phillies. The record gets even better at Fenway Park, where the Sox are 13-6 against the Phils. They’ll try to make it 14-6 Sunday when Tim Wakefield takes the mound for Boston while Philadelphia will counter with Cole Hamels.
Each starter has already faced his respective opponent once this season, and both fared very well. Wakefield (2-4, 5.48 ERA), in fact, had his best start of the season when he faced the Phillies on May 23. He pitched eight shutout innings in which he allowed just five hits and never saw more than five Philadelphia batters in any given inning of the 8-3 Boston win. It should be noted that the Sox starter outdueled Phillies ace Roy Halladay, who surrendered six earned runs over 5 2/3 innings on that day.
In his lone start against the Red Sox this season, Hamels was nearly as successful as his knuckleball counterpart. Hamels allowed just one run on three hits over seven innings of work in the 5-1 Philadelphia victory. He also struck out eight batters, tied for his second-highest strikeout total of the season. Marco Scutaro, Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew and Bill Hall all had 0-fors at the plate against Hamels in that contest.
If the Sox look to rob Hamels (5-5, 3.98 ERA) of a repeat performance Sunday, they’ll need Pedroia to return to his previous form against the lefty starter. He has the best average among Sox batters against Hamels at .429 with a double and a solo home run.
One matchup to watch on the Philadelphia side should be Wakefield vs. Ryan Howard. The 2006 NL MVP has struggled against the knuckleballer, going 0-for-6 with one just one walk to his credit. The bulk of the team’s power may need to come from Jayson Werth, who has hit .455 with a home run and two RBI in the past against Wakefield.
Red Sox vs. Cole Hamels
Bill Hall (19 career plate appearances against Hamels): .158 average/.158 OBP/.158 slugging, six strikeouts
Mike Cameron (11): .125/.364/.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Marco Scutaro (10): .100/.100/.200, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (7): .200/.429/.800, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (7): .429/.429/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Victor Martinez (6): .333/.333/.833, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Darnell McDonald (5): .200/.200/.200, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Phillies vs. Tim Wakefield
Raul Ibanez (32 career plate appearances against Wakefield): .258 average/.281 OBP/.484 slugging, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 doubles, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Placido Polanco (17): .067/.176/.067, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jayson Werth (11): .455/.455/.727, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Chase Utley (10): .222/.300/.444, 1 triple, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ross Gload (8): .125/.125/.125, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Greg Dobbs (7): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI
Ryan Howard (7): .000/.143/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (7): .333/.429/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Juan Castro (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double
Ben Fransisco is 0-for-3 all-time against Wakefield while Brian Schneider is 1-for-2. Carlos Ruiz and Wilson Valdez have never faced the Boston starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster