Sources: Red Sox show interest in Everett
|06.23.10 at 4:34 pm ET|
According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have shown some interest in shortstop Adam Everett, who was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers on June 8 and released by the club seven days later. Everett, who is currently a free agent, would only cost the Major League minimum with the Tigers responsible for what was left on the infielder’s one-year, $1.55 million deal he signed with Detroit prior to the 2010 season.
It is believed that the Red Sox wouldn’t attempt to make any such signing until a move is made to clear a roster spot (perhaps in a transaction involving Mike Lowell). Right now the Sox are using Bill Hall as their backup shortstop and second baseman.
Everett, the Red Sox’ first-round pick in the 1998 amateur draft (12th overall), was traded by the Sox with minor leaguer Greg Miller for outfielder Carl Everett prior to the 2000 season. In 31 games with the Tigers this season, Everett — who is known more for his glove than his bat — was hitting .185. He played in 118 games for Detroit last season, finishing with a .238 batting average.
Appearing on Sirius/XM Radio Tuesday, Red Sox assistant general manager Ben Cherington said that one of the team’s needs heading toward the trade deadline was a backup middle infielder (along with bullpen help and a left-handed hitting outfielder). The 33-year-old Everett has played shortstop almost exclusively throughout his 10-year big league career, manning second base for one inning while with Minnesota in ’08.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?