Sources: Red Sox show interest in Everett
|06.23.10 at 4:34 pm ET|
According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have shown some interest in shortstop Adam Everett, who was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers on June 8 and released by the club seven days later. Everett, who is currently a free agent, would only cost the Major League minimum with the Tigers responsible for what was left on the infielder’s one-year, $1.55 million deal he signed with Detroit prior to the 2010 season.
It is believed that the Red Sox wouldn’t attempt to make any such signing until a move is made to clear a roster spot (perhaps in a transaction involving Mike Lowell). Right now the Sox are using Bill Hall as their backup shortstop and second baseman.
Everett, the Red Sox’ first-round pick in the 1998 amateur draft (12th overall), was traded by the Sox with minor leaguer Greg Miller for outfielder Carl Everett prior to the 2000 season. In 31 games with the Tigers this season, Everett — who is known more for his glove than his bat — was hitting .185. He played in 118 games for Detroit last season, finishing with a .238 batting average.
Appearing on Sirius/XM Radio Tuesday, Red Sox assistant general manager Ben Cherington said that one of the team’s needs heading toward the trade deadline was a backup middle infielder (along with bullpen help and a left-handed hitting outfielder). The 33-year-old Everett has played shortstop almost exclusively throughout his 10-year big league career, manning second base for one inning while with Minnesota in ’08.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven