Sources: Red Sox show interest in Everett
|06.23.10 at 4:34 pm ET|
According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have shown some interest in shortstop Adam Everett, who was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers on June 8 and released by the club seven days later. Everett, who is currently a free agent, would only cost the Major League minimum with the Tigers responsible for what was left on the infielder’s one-year, $1.55 million deal he signed with Detroit prior to the 2010 season.
It is believed that the Red Sox wouldn’t attempt to make any such signing until a move is made to clear a roster spot (perhaps in a transaction involving Mike Lowell). Right now the Sox are using Bill Hall as their backup shortstop and second baseman.
Everett, the Red Sox’ first-round pick in the 1998 amateur draft (12th overall), was traded by the Sox with minor leaguer Greg Miller for outfielder Carl Everett prior to the 2000 season. In 31 games with the Tigers this season, Everett — who is known more for his glove than his bat — was hitting .185. He played in 118 games for Detroit last season, finishing with a .238 batting average.
Appearing on Sirius/XM Radio Tuesday, Red Sox assistant general manager Ben Cherington said that one of the team’s needs heading toward the trade deadline was a backup middle infielder (along with bullpen help and a left-handed hitting outfielder). The 33-year-old Everett has played shortstop almost exclusively throughout his 10-year big league career, manning second base for one inning while with Minnesota in ’08.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss