Sources: Red Sox show interest in Everett
|06.23.10 at 4:34 pm ET|
According to a source familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have shown some interest in shortstop Adam Everett, who was designated for assignment by the Detroit Tigers on June 8 and released by the club seven days later. Everett, who is currently a free agent, would only cost the Major League minimum with the Tigers responsible for what was left on the infielder’s one-year, $1.55 million deal he signed with Detroit prior to the 2010 season.
It is believed that the Red Sox wouldn’t attempt to make any such signing until a move is made to clear a roster spot (perhaps in a transaction involving Mike Lowell). Right now the Sox are using Bill Hall as their backup shortstop and second baseman.
Everett, the Red Sox’ first-round pick in the 1998 amateur draft (12th overall), was traded by the Sox with minor leaguer Greg Miller for outfielder Carl Everett prior to the 2000 season. In 31 games with the Tigers this season, Everett — who is known more for his glove than his bat — was hitting .185. He played in 118 games for Detroit last season, finishing with a .238 batting average.
Appearing on Sirius/XM Radio Tuesday, Red Sox assistant general manager Ben Cherington said that one of the team’s needs heading toward the trade deadline was a backup middle infielder (along with bullpen help and a left-handed hitting outfielder). The 33-year-old Everett has played shortstop almost exclusively throughout his 10-year big league career, manning second base for one inning while with Minnesota in ’08.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut