Westmoreland: ‘Progress has been amazing’
|06.23.10 at 12:39 pm ET|
Speaking via a conference call with his father, Ron, and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland said his “progress has been amazing” in coming back from surgery on a cavernous malformation in his brain back in March.
The 20-year-old said that he is already going some running and throwing along with physical and occupational therapy four days a week. Westmoreland noted that none of his doctors has presented any sort of timetable regarding his return to playing baseball. Ron Westmoreland said after the shock of the initial diagnosis and surgery, every day “has been positive,” noting that his son was up and walking during his second day in intensive care.
“I keep hearing from pretty much every doctor that the progress is what they term remarkable. Only three months out I feel like I’m doing things that are above the limits of what the doctors thought. The therapists themselves are setting goals for me and I’m breaking those goals earlier than they expected. From a general perspective I’m definitely getting better. I don’t stop setting goals for myself and neither do they and it’s good because it keeps me going and I want to break through those goals earlier,” said Westmoreland, who said both he, the trainers, and doctor were “stunned” after tests revealed the condition considering there was no pain or headaches involved in his initial symptoms.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Notes from the Field: Devers power display highlights afternoon Drive
- Cup of Coffee: Henry Owens gets back on track
- Red Sox to field two DSL teams for first time since 2003
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- April Players of the Month: Manuel Margot and Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Devers stays hot; Augliera, Gragnani lead Portland
- Weekly Notes: Swihart makes major league debut
- Cup of Coffee: Rafael Devers explodes at the plate, Brian Johnson stumbles
- Cup of Coffee: Aro throws four perfect innings, Rodriguez improves to 3-0
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas tosses Portland past Reading