Westmoreland: ‘Progress has been amazing’
|06.23.10 at 12:39 pm ET|
Speaking via a conference call with his father, Ron, and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland said his “progress has been amazing” in coming back from surgery on a cavernous malformation in his brain back in March.
The 20-year-old said that he is already going some running and throwing along with physical and occupational therapy four days a week. Westmoreland noted that none of his doctors has presented any sort of timetable regarding his return to playing baseball. Ron Westmoreland said after the shock of the initial diagnosis and surgery, every day “has been positive,” noting that his son was up and walking during his second day in intensive care.
“I keep hearing from pretty much every doctor that the progress is what they term remarkable. Only three months out I feel like I’m doing things that are above the limits of what the doctors thought. The therapists themselves are setting goals for me and I’m breaking those goals earlier than they expected. From a general perspective I’m definitely getting better. I don’t stop setting goals for myself and neither do they and it’s good because it keeps me going and I want to break through those goals earlier,” said Westmoreland, who said both he, the trainers, and doctor were “stunned” after tests revealed the condition considering there was no pain or headaches involved in his initial symptoms.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins