Westmoreland: ‘Progress has been amazing’
|06.23.10 at 12:39 pm ET|
Speaking via a conference call with his father, Ron, and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, minor league outfielder Ryan Westmoreland said his “progress has been amazing” in coming back from surgery on a cavernous malformation in his brain back in March.
The 20-year-old said that he is already going some running and throwing along with physical and occupational therapy four days a week. Westmoreland noted that none of his doctors has presented any sort of timetable regarding his return to playing baseball. Ron Westmoreland said after the shock of the initial diagnosis and surgery, every day “has been positive,” noting that his son was up and walking during his second day in intensive care.
“I keep hearing from pretty much every doctor that the progress is what they term remarkable. Only three months out I feel like I’m doing things that are above the limits of what the doctors thought. The therapists themselves are setting goals for me and I’m breaking those goals earlier than they expected. From a general perspective I’m definitely getting better. I don’t stop setting goals for myself and neither do they and it’s good because it keeps me going and I want to break through those goals earlier,” said Westmoreland, who said both he, the trainers, and doctor were “stunned” after tests revealed the condition considering there was no pain or headaches involved in his initial symptoms.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles