Molina on catching Wake: ‘I’ll be ready
|06.29.10 at 3:52 pm ET|
This is Gustavo Molina’s first rodeo, or knuckleball.
When the 28-year-old went out to the Red Sox bullpen to catch Tim Wakefield Tuesday afternoon it wasn’t his initial go-round with the knuckleballer, having caught “a few” of the pitcher’s side sessions during spring training. But even before joining the Sox organization for this season, Molina had experience catching the knuckleball thanks to his time in the White Sox‘ minor league system.
“I caught Charlie Haeger in the minors,” said Molina after his stint with Wakefield. “[Wakefield’s] got more control. I also think a difference is that Charlie Haeger throws a little bit harder. But Wakefield is one of the best, that’s why he’s been in this game for a long time.
“It’s kind of a challenge. I’ll be ready for the next start.”
While it isn’t set in stone that Molina will catch Wakefield in the pitcher’s start Friday night against the Orioles at Fenway Park, that is the likelihood now that Victor Martinez is on the 15-day disabled list with a broken finger on his left hand.
Molina pointed out that one of the benefits that he didn’t possess when catching Haeger for two seasons in Chicago’s system was the guidance of catching instructor Gary Tuck. Since his arrival with the Red Sox, Tuck has tutored the various catchers on the Red Sox as to a specific way to catch Wakefield and his knuckleball.
“You have to figure it out yourself, but you need a base to start from,” Molina said. “That pitch moves a lot. But it went well. I just have to get ready for the next start.”
Molina’s major league experience consists of 19 games, with his last appearance in the big leagues coming via a two-game stretch with the Mets in 2008.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins