Red Sox pre-game 7/2: Busy, busy, busy
|07.02.10 at 6:38 pm ET|
With all of the injuries and all of the activity necessary to account for a full roster of 25 healthy players, it figured Friday would be one of the busiest pre-game updates of the season.
Jason Varitek was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a minimally displaced fracture of the second metatarsal on the top of his left foot.
“He needs to be in a boot, he needs to be non-weight-bearing for two-to-three weeks and we’ll see how quickly he can heal,” Francona said. “Very similar to [Dustin Pedroia] in the diagnosis, just a different bone. The time frame we’ll see. We don’t know.”
Varitek and Victor Martinez [broken left thumb] are both on the DL.
[Click here to listen to Francona explain how Varitek was injured on Wednesday night against the Rays.]
Manny Delcarmen was placed on the DL with a sore right forearm and reliever Robert Manuel was called up to take his place. Manuel was recently selected to the 2010 Triple A All-Star game, having posted a 1.54 ERA out of the bullpen in 41 innings pitched thus far. He has gone 4-1 with eight saves in as many opportunities.
With the Red Sox making a move with the Astros to help a depleted catching situation that is also without Victor Martinez, Francona said that in getting Cash, who played for the Red Sox in 2007 and ’08, Epstein acquired the “perfect guy.”
Niuman Romero, a switch-hitting infielder who has played mostly shortstop and third base in the minors, was called up to replace Angel Sanchez, who went to Houston in the deal, on the roster.
The Red Sox entered play Friday night with a 47-32 record, the third-best mark in the majors and just 1 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the American League East. The Yankees were beaten earlier Friday in extra innings by the Toronto Blue Jays.
Francona spoke about a trio of Red Sox pitchers to encounter injuries lately. Francona said that Josh Beckett‘s most recent session went “very well,” and that he tossed 41 pitches. Beckett will travel with the team on their upcoming road trip and will pitch a Gulf Coast League game on Tuesday. The team plans on Beckett throwing 55 pitches.
And finally, Clay Buchholz, who pitched just one inning in his start last Saturday in San Francisco before leaving with a hyperextended knee, is doing “very well” and is slated to start on Monday in St. Petersburg against Tampa Bay.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates