Red Sox vs. Rays matchups, 7/6
|07.06.10 at 9:18 am ET|
Looking to rebound after a tough loss on Monday, the Sox will send Felix Doubront to the hill on Tuesday. Making his second major league start, Doubront replaces Clay Buchholz, who remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. Doubront (1-0, 5.40) will face the Rays for the first time in his career.
The Sox continue to be hampered by injuries but remain in contention with the Rays and Yankees for first place in the AL East.
Opposing Doubront is Jeff Niemann, who is 6-2 with a 2.80 ERA. Niemann has pitched consistently well almost every game this season but is on a two-game losing streak, with losses to the Diamondbacks and Marlins mixed in with two no-decisions in his last four starts. Niemann pitched well against the Sox back on April 19, picking up the win when he allowed five hits, two earned runs and one home run while striking out three batters over seven innings.
Tampa Bay is 21-19 at Tropicana Field and looks to extend its three-game winning streak on Tuesday.
Jeff Niemann vs. Red Sox
Marco Scutaro (14 plate appearances): .143 AVG/.200 OBP/.143 SLG, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (10): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Bill Hall (5): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (4): .500/.600/ 1.000, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (4): .000/.200/.000, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (3): .000/.400/.000, 2 walks
Felix Doubront vs. Rays
No Rays batter has faced Doubront.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players