Red Sox vs. Rays matchups, 7/6
|07.06.10 at 9:18 am ET|
Looking to rebound after a tough loss on Monday, the Sox will send Felix Doubront to the hill on Tuesday. Making his second major league start, Doubront replaces Clay Buchholz, who remains sidelined with a hamstring injury. Doubront (1-0, 5.40) will face the Rays for the first time in his career.
The Sox continue to be hampered by injuries but remain in contention with the Rays and Yankees for first place in the AL East.
Opposing Doubront is Jeff Niemann, who is 6-2 with a 2.80 ERA. Niemann has pitched consistently well almost every game this season but is on a two-game losing streak, with losses to the Diamondbacks and Marlins mixed in with two no-decisions in his last four starts. Niemann pitched well against the Sox back on April 19, picking up the win when he allowed five hits, two earned runs and one home run while striking out three batters over seven innings.
Tampa Bay is 21-19 at Tropicana Field and looks to extend its three-game winning streak on Tuesday.
Jeff Niemann vs. Red Sox
Marco Scutaro (14 plate appearances): .143 AVG/.200 OBP/.143 SLG, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (10): .300/.364/.300, 1 RBI, 1 walk
Bill Hall (5): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
J.D. Drew (4): .500/.600/ 1.000, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Kevin Youkilis (4): .000/.200/.000, 1 strikeout
David Ortiz (3): .000/.400/.000, 2 walks
Felix Doubront vs. Rays
No Rays batter has faced Doubront.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens