Youkilis on Big Show: Ellsbury ‘should be out there cheering on’ Sox
|07.08.10 at 3:54 pm ET|
Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis checked in with The Big Show on Thursday afternoon to discuss the health of his injured right ankle (“a lot better”) and the fans’ campaign to elect him to the All-Star squad in voting on MLB.com that ends at 4:00 p.m.
Youkilis is in a heated race with Yankees right-fielder Nick Swisher in the fan voting for an All-Star spot. The Sox first baseman said that he would love to be selected for the All-Star team, but that if he is not elected, he will harbor only gratitude for the supporters who tried to get him onto the American League team.
“I just wanted to thank all of Red Sox Nation out there that voted,” he said. “Even if I fall short, it was still fun.”
Youkilis also discussed the resilience of the 2010 Red Sox, who have remained in the pennant race despite a rut of injuries. He also touched upon the somewhat unusual situation with outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who will meet up with the Sox on Friday in Toronto after having spent the last five weeks working out at Athletes’ Performance in Arizona. Ellsbury’s rehab has followed a very different pattern than teammates such as Dustin Pedroia and Jason Varitek, who have remained vocal presences on the Sox even though they have been unable to play.
“Jacoby’s coming back now, so hopefully he can cheer us on. I don’t know what went on there,” said Youkilis. “I think that was more his agent (Scott Boras) and the Red Sox, but it’s very important. As a player, it doesn’t matter if you’re hurt or not. You should be out there cheering on your team. … It’s good that he’s coming back. Hopefully he’s out there cheering on the team, and hopefully he’ll get healthy and help the team.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles