Youkilis on Big Show: Ellsbury ‘should be out there cheering on’ Sox
|07.08.10 at 3:54 pm ET|
Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis checked in with The Big Show on Thursday afternoon to discuss the health of his injured right ankle (“a lot better”) and the fans’ campaign to elect him to the All-Star squad in voting on MLB.com that ends at 4:00 p.m.
Youkilis is in a heated race with Yankees right-fielder Nick Swisher in the fan voting for an All-Star spot. The Sox first baseman said that he would love to be selected for the All-Star team, but that if he is not elected, he will harbor only gratitude for the supporters who tried to get him onto the American League team.
“I just wanted to thank all of Red Sox Nation out there that voted,” he said. “Even if I fall short, it was still fun.”
Youkilis also discussed the resilience of the 2010 Red Sox, who have remained in the pennant race despite a rut of injuries. He also touched upon the somewhat unusual situation with outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who will meet up with the Sox on Friday in Toronto after having spent the last five weeks working out at Athletes’ Performance in Arizona. Ellsbury’s rehab has followed a very different pattern than teammates such as Dustin Pedroia and Jason Varitek, who have remained vocal presences on the Sox even though they have been unable to play.
“Jacoby’s coming back now, so hopefully he can cheer us on. I don’t know what went on there,” said Youkilis. “I think that was more his agent (Scott Boras) and the Red Sox, but it’s very important. As a player, it doesn’t matter if you’re hurt or not. You should be out there cheering on your team. … It’s good that he’s coming back. Hopefully he’s out there cheering on the team, and hopefully he’ll get healthy and help the team.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory