Red Sox showed interest in Lee, Werth
|07.09.10 at 4:57 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ According to a major league baseball source, the Red Sox and Mariners had talks involving pitcher Cliff Lee, but the negotiations have never gone beyond the preliminary stage. Friday afternoon ESPN.com reported that the Rangers had traded for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe for top first baseman prospect Justin Smoak and three minor-leaguers
Seattle was apparently focused on getting young hitters back in any deal, with the Red Sox not possessing the kind of hitting prospects other interested parties could offer. The Red Sox’ need for a top of the rotation pitcher such as Lee wouldn’t be at the level of the other teams interested, with the Sox seemingly preferring to use the kind of prospects needed to complete such a deal for areas other than the starting rotation.
Earlier in the day it appeared as though the Yankees were on the verge of acquiring Lee, but the New York Post’s Joel Sherman ‘ who first reported the initial deal between New York and Seattle ‘ wrote later in the afternoon that ‘the Mariners have turned in a different direction’ with the Rangers surfacing as a potential landing spot for Lee. Sherman wrote on Twitter that the Mariners had concerns regarding the ankle of prospect David Adams, who was supposed to be shipped to the Mariners in a package that also included highly-regarded catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero.
Another report, from the New York Post’s George King, suggested that the Red Sox, along with Tampa Bay and the Yankees, all have interest in Philadelphia outfielder Jayson Werth. According to a source, the Sox have shown some interest in Werth, who is a free agent at the end of the season, but no deal is imminent.
For more Red Sox coverage see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven