Red Sox showed interest in Lee, Werth
|07.09.10 at 4:57 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ According to a major league baseball source, the Red Sox and Mariners had talks involving pitcher Cliff Lee, but the negotiations have never gone beyond the preliminary stage. Friday afternoon ESPN.com reported that the Rangers had traded for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe for top first baseman prospect Justin Smoak and three minor-leaguers
Seattle was apparently focused on getting young hitters back in any deal, with the Red Sox not possessing the kind of hitting prospects other interested parties could offer. The Red Sox’ need for a top of the rotation pitcher such as Lee wouldn’t be at the level of the other teams interested, with the Sox seemingly preferring to use the kind of prospects needed to complete such a deal for areas other than the starting rotation.
Earlier in the day it appeared as though the Yankees were on the verge of acquiring Lee, but the New York Post’s Joel Sherman ‘ who first reported the initial deal between New York and Seattle ‘ wrote later in the afternoon that ‘the Mariners have turned in a different direction’ with the Rangers surfacing as a potential landing spot for Lee. Sherman wrote on Twitter that the Mariners had concerns regarding the ankle of prospect David Adams, who was supposed to be shipped to the Mariners in a package that also included highly-regarded catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero.
Another report, from the New York Post’s George King, suggested that the Red Sox, along with Tampa Bay and the Yankees, all have interest in Philadelphia outfielder Jayson Werth. According to a source, the Sox have shown some interest in Werth, who is a free agent at the end of the season, but no deal is imminent.
For more Red Sox coverage see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo