Red Sox showed interest in Lee, Werth
|07.09.10 at 4:57 pm ET|
TORONTO — According to a major league baseball source, the Red Sox and Mariners had talks involving pitcher Cliff Lee, but the negotiations have never gone beyond the preliminary stage. Friday afternoon ESPN.com reported that the Rangers had traded for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe for top first baseman prospect Justin Smoak and three minor-leaguers
Seattle was apparently focused on getting young hitters back in any deal, with the Red Sox not possessing the kind of hitting prospects other interested parties could offer. The Red Sox’ need for a top of the rotation pitcher such as Lee wouldn’t be at the level of the other teams interested, with the Sox seemingly preferring to use the kind of prospects needed to complete such a deal for areas other than the starting rotation.
Earlier in the day it appeared as though the Yankees were on the verge of acquiring Lee, but the New York Post’s Joel Sherman — who first reported the initial deal between New York and Seattle — wrote later in the afternoon that “the Mariners have turned in a different direction” with the Rangers surfacing as a potential landing spot for Lee. Sherman wrote on Twitter that the Mariners had concerns regarding the ankle of prospect David Adams, who was supposed to be shipped to the Mariners in a package that also included highly-regarded catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero.
Another report, from the New York Post’s George King, suggested that the Red Sox, along with Tampa Bay and the Yankees, all have interest in Philadelphia outfielder Jayson Werth. According to a source, the Sox have shown some interest in Werth, who is a free agent at the end of the season, but no deal is imminent.
For more Red Sox coverage see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox trade Andrew Miller for Eduardo Rodriguez
- Red Sox send Lackey. Littrell, and cash to Cardinals for Joe Kelly, Allen Craig
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches