Red Sox showed interest in Lee, Werth
|07.09.10 at 4:57 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ According to a major league baseball source, the Red Sox and Mariners had talks involving pitcher Cliff Lee, but the negotiations have never gone beyond the preliminary stage. Friday afternoon ESPN.com reported that the Rangers had traded for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe for top first baseman prospect Justin Smoak and three minor-leaguers
Seattle was apparently focused on getting young hitters back in any deal, with the Red Sox not possessing the kind of hitting prospects other interested parties could offer. The Red Sox’ need for a top of the rotation pitcher such as Lee wouldn’t be at the level of the other teams interested, with the Sox seemingly preferring to use the kind of prospects needed to complete such a deal for areas other than the starting rotation.
Earlier in the day it appeared as though the Yankees were on the verge of acquiring Lee, but the New York Post’s Joel Sherman ‘ who first reported the initial deal between New York and Seattle ‘ wrote later in the afternoon that ‘the Mariners have turned in a different direction’ with the Rangers surfacing as a potential landing spot for Lee. Sherman wrote on Twitter that the Mariners had concerns regarding the ankle of prospect David Adams, who was supposed to be shipped to the Mariners in a package that also included highly-regarded catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero.
Another report, from the New York Post’s George King, suggested that the Red Sox, along with Tampa Bay and the Yankees, all have interest in Philadelphia outfielder Jayson Werth. According to a source, the Sox have shown some interest in Werth, who is a free agent at the end of the season, but no deal is imminent.
For more Red Sox coverage see the Red Sox team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller