Notes: Buchholz should be a go for Friday, Cameron sore
|07.11.10 at 11:53 am ET|
TORONTO — In speaking with members of the media prior to Sunday’s matinee with the Blue Jays, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that Clay Buchholz should be on track to pitch in Friday’s game against the Rangers. Buchholz has been on the disabled list with lower hamstring tear and Felix Doubront is expected to pitch if Buchholz cannot.
“Yeah,” Francona said when asked if he expected Buchholz to make the start. “Saying that, we’re doing what we’re doing with Doubront [and] I think that makes sense, but yeah, I think he’s going to be fine.”
– Mike Cameron would have been in the lineup on Sunday were it not for his swollen right wrist. He was hit by a Brandon Morrow fastball in the team’s 9-5 loss before later being tossed from the game for arguing balls and strikes. Darnell McDonald is starting in center field.
“He’s fine he’s just sore,” Francona said. “He got whacked on it pretty good. It’s in tact, and it’s just sore. He got hit by 90-mile-an hour fastball and it hurt. We checked in on him this morning and he just got a pretty good bruise there.”
– Francona hopes the players can take the opportunity to remove themselves from everything for a few days over the All-Star break. After the ups and downs of the first half, Francona said he could also use the rest, but the priority is the players.
“I hope it’s a mental break,” Francona said of his own time in the upcoming days. “I don’t know until its over if it worked or not. I really want the players to get away beause i think it’s important not only physically but mentally.”
The team will have an optional workout on Wednesday, with Francona stressing the “optional” part.
“It’s not a test to see who shows up,” Francona said. “We really do want them to get away.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell