Notes: Buchholz should be a go for Friday, Cameron sore
|07.11.10 at 11:53 am ET|
TORONTO — In speaking with members of the media prior to Sunday’s matinee with the Blue Jays, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that Clay Buchholz should be on track to pitch in Friday’s game against the Rangers. Buchholz has been on the disabled list with lower hamstring tear and Felix Doubront is expected to pitch if Buchholz cannot.
“Yeah,” Francona said when asked if he expected Buchholz to make the start. “Saying that, we’re doing what we’re doing with Doubront [and] I think that makes sense, but yeah, I think he’s going to be fine.”
– Mike Cameron would have been in the lineup on Sunday were it not for his swollen right wrist. He was hit by a Brandon Morrow fastball in the team’s 9-5 loss before later being tossed from the game for arguing balls and strikes. Darnell McDonald is starting in center field.
“He’s fine he’s just sore,” Francona said. “He got whacked on it pretty good. It’s in tact, and it’s just sore. He got hit by 90-mile-an hour fastball and it hurt. We checked in on him this morning and he just got a pretty good bruise there.”
– Francona hopes the players can take the opportunity to remove themselves from everything for a few days over the All-Star break. After the ups and downs of the first half, Francona said he could also use the rest, but the priority is the players.
“I hope it’s a mental break,” Francona said of his own time in the upcoming days. “I don’t know until its over if it worked or not. I really want the players to get away beause i think it’s important not only physically but mentally.”
The team will have an optional workout on Wednesday, with Francona stressing the “optional” part.
“It’s not a test to see who shows up,” Francona said. “We really do want them to get away.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg