Notes: Buchholz should be a go for Friday, Cameron sore
|07.11.10 at 11:53 am ET|
TORONTO — In speaking with members of the media prior to Sunday’s matinee with the Blue Jays, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that Clay Buchholz should be on track to pitch in Friday’s game against the Rangers. Buchholz has been on the disabled list with lower hamstring tear and Felix Doubront is expected to pitch if Buchholz cannot.
“Yeah,” Francona said when asked if he expected Buchholz to make the start. “Saying that, we’re doing what we’re doing with Doubront [and] I think that makes sense, but yeah, I think he’s going to be fine.”
– Mike Cameron would have been in the lineup on Sunday were it not for his swollen right wrist. He was hit by a Brandon Morrow fastball in the team’s 9-5 loss before later being tossed from the game for arguing balls and strikes. Darnell McDonald is starting in center field.
“He’s fine he’s just sore,” Francona said. “He got whacked on it pretty good. It’s in tact, and it’s just sore. He got hit by 90-mile-an hour fastball and it hurt. We checked in on him this morning and he just got a pretty good bruise there.”
– Francona hopes the players can take the opportunity to remove themselves from everything for a few days over the All-Star break. After the ups and downs of the first half, Francona said he could also use the rest, but the priority is the players.
“I hope it’s a mental break,” Francona said of his own time in the upcoming days. “I don’t know until its over if it worked or not. I really want the players to get away beause i think it’s important not only physically but mentally.”
The team will have an optional workout on Wednesday, with Francona stressing the “optional” part.
“It’s not a test to see who shows up,” Francona said. “We really do want them to get away.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill