Jays make three relievers available
|07.12.10 at 11:37 am ET|
ANAHEIM — According to a major league source, the Blue Jays have made three relievers available — Kevin Gregg, Jason Frasor, and Scott Downs. The news should be of note considering one of the Red Sox‘ primary needs at the trade deadline figures to be late-inning bullpen help, and Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous has shown a willingness to deal within the American League East.
The 32-year-old Gregg (who was first identified as being available by the Toronto Sun) has been closing for the Blue Jays, converting 20 of 23 save opportunities this season. He is signed to a $2.75 million deal this season, with either a $4.5 million club option for next year or a club option for a combined $8.75 million for 2011-12.
Gregg had taken over closing duties for the 32-year-old Frasor, who is 3-2 with a 4.67 ERA in 30 appearances. Frasor has been pitching well of late, allowing just one run in his last six appearances. The right-hander is slated to become a free agent at the end of this season, currently carrying a one-year, $2.65 million deal.
Downs, a left-hander, is also on the last year of his deal, making $4 million this season. In 41 appearances this season he has totaled a 2.65 ERA, with lefty hitters managing just a .208 batting average against the 34-year-old.
As for the Red Sox’ current bullpen situation, Hideki Okajima has said that his back still isn’t 100 percent, a contributing factor to his ineffectiveness this season. Manny Delcarmen, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a forearm issue, is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Wednesday and may come off the DL later this week.
The team has also moved prospect Michael Bowden to the bullpen in Triple A Pawtucket, where he has allowed just one hit in three relief appearances. Felix Doubront, who is with the big league team as insurance for Clay Buchholz‘ hamstring, is also candidate to help out in the Sox’ bullpen down the line.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot