Jays make three relievers available
|07.12.10 at 11:37 am ET|
ANAHEIM — According to a major league source, the Blue Jays have made three relievers available — Kevin Gregg, Jason Frasor, and Scott Downs. The news should be of note considering one of the Red Sox‘ primary needs at the trade deadline figures to be late-inning bullpen help, and Toronto general manager Alex Anthopolous has shown a willingness to deal within the American League East.
The 32-year-old Gregg (who was first identified as being available by the Toronto Sun) has been closing for the Blue Jays, converting 20 of 23 save opportunities this season. He is signed to a $2.75 million deal this season, with either a $4.5 million club option for next year or a club option for a combined $8.75 million for 2011-12.
Gregg had taken over closing duties for the 32-year-old Frasor, who is 3-2 with a 4.67 ERA in 30 appearances. Frasor has been pitching well of late, allowing just one run in his last six appearances. The right-hander is slated to become a free agent at the end of this season, currently carrying a one-year, $2.65 million deal.
Downs, a left-hander, is also on the last year of his deal, making $4 million this season. In 41 appearances this season he has totaled a 2.65 ERA, with lefty hitters managing just a .208 batting average against the 34-year-old.
As for the Red Sox’ current bullpen situation, Hideki Okajima has said that his back still isn’t 100 percent, a contributing factor to his ineffectiveness this season. Manny Delcarmen, who is on the 15-day disabled list with a forearm issue, is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Wednesday and may come off the DL later this week.
The team has also moved prospect Michael Bowden to the bullpen in Triple A Pawtucket, where he has allowed just one hit in three relief appearances. Felix Doubront, who is with the big league team as insurance for Clay Buchholz‘ hamstring, is also candidate to help out in the Sox’ bullpen down the line.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo