No talks yet between Beltre, Sox on new deal
|07.13.10 at 11:32 am ET|
ANAHEIM — According to a source familiar with the situation, third baseman Adrian Beltre and the Red Sox haven’t had any talks about a new deal that would guarantee that the first-time All-Star would remain in Boston beyond this season. Beltre can become a free agent after the 2010 season. He is currently on a one-year, $9 million contract that includes a $5 million player option for ’11 that can be bumped up to $10 million with 640 plate appearances. Beltre currently has 349 plate appearances in 85 games.
By all accounts, the Red Sox also haven’t dived into talks with any of their other potential free agent, middle-of-the-order hitters — David Ortiz or Victor Martinez — regarding contract extensions, thus far. WEEI.com also reported Monday that Clay Buchholz, who won’t hit arbitration until after the ’11 season, hasn’t begun talks with the Sox regarding a potential extension.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies