Sox interested in David DeJesus?
|07.13.10 at 4:08 pm ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. — According to FoxSports.com, the Red Sox spoke to the Royals roughly 10 days ago about the availability of outfielder David DeJesus, who is hitting .326 with a .395 OBP and .855 OPS for the fourth-place club. The report said that the clubs plan to stay in contact about the left-handed hitting outfielder.
A major league source said that the cost of acquiring the outfielder, who is on a $4.7 million deal this year with a $6 million option for 2011, is currently rich, and considered it unlikely that the Sox would pursue DeJesus unless Kansas City seeks less in return than is currently the case. That said, outfield production remains an obvious area for potential improvement on the Sox, given that the team’s injury-depleted unit has a collective .758 OPS that ranks 11th in the American League, a .258 average that is 12th and a .326 OBP that is 13th.
While both Jeremy Hermida and Jacoby Ellsbury are slated to return from their rib injuries in the second half, there is some question as to what kind of production the Sox might get from those two players after substantial time on the disabled list, or from Mike Cameron, who has been fighting to stay on the field while playing with an abdominal strain.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi stands out as affiliates are swept