Beltre MRI turns out ‘pretty good’
|07.15.10 at 5:38 pm ET|
Adrian Beltre had an MRI on his sore left hamstring and manager Terry Francona said the preliminary findings were “pretty good” but decided to hold him out of the starting lineup against the Texas Rangers on Thursday night at Fenway Park. Francona replaced Beltre with Bill Hall at third base for Thursday’s four-game series opener.
“I wasn’t real comfortable playing him tonight,” Francona said. “Hopefully, he’ll go out move around, maybe be available to pinch-hit, play [Friday], that would be, for me, best case. I just think with the travel, I just didn’t have a real good feeling running him out there. Just knowing the way he plays, I didn’t want him hurting himself.”
Beltre said he felt a cramp in his left hamstring that forced him from Sunday’s game in Toronto. General manager Theo Epstein said on Wednesday he didn’t anticipate Beltre winding up on the disabled list.
Victor Martinez told Francona that his left thumb is ‘feeling a little bit better’ and he is getting an exam on Thursday night.
Mike Lowell [strained right hip] went out early Thursday and ‘took some ground balls, [hit] some balls off the tee and in the cage,’ Francona said. ‘He actually felt pretty good. We’re going to start ramping him back up, too.’
‘A little bit,’ Francona said of the relaxation he got during his All-Star break. ‘I don’t know if I ever can quite get away but you try to use it to your advantage. I got away for a couple of days and again, there was a lot going on that we needed to stay in touch with but when there’s not a game hanging over your head, it’s a little easier to relax a little bit.”
One form of relaxation for Francona is to lose himself in a mystery. He began the book ‘Storm Prey’ – a Lucas Davenport thriller in a series of novels by Davenport.
“I read about a half a book,” Francona said. “I guarantee you that book will be right there half-read when the season is over. I’ll read it in the winter.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated