Beltre MRI turns out ‘pretty good’
|07.15.10 at 5:38 pm ET|
Adrian Beltre had an MRI on his sore left hamstring and manager Terry Francona said the preliminary findings were “pretty good” but decided to hold him out of the starting lineup against the Texas Rangers on Thursday night at Fenway Park. Francona replaced Beltre with Bill Hall at third base for Thursday’s four-game series opener.
“I wasn’t real comfortable playing him tonight,” Francona said. “Hopefully, he’ll go out move around, maybe be available to pinch-hit, play [Friday], that would be, for me, best case. I just think with the travel, I just didn’t have a real good feeling running him out there. Just knowing the way he plays, I didn’t want him hurting himself.”
Beltre said he felt a cramp in his left hamstring that forced him from Sunday’s game in Toronto. General manager Theo Epstein said on Wednesday he didn’t anticipate Beltre winding up on the disabled list.
Victor Martinez told Francona that his left thumb is ‘feeling a little bit better’ and he is getting an exam on Thursday night.
Mike Lowell [strained right hip] went out early Thursday and ‘took some ground balls, [hit] some balls off the tee and in the cage,’ Francona said. ‘He actually felt pretty good. We’re going to start ramping him back up, too.’
‘A little bit,’ Francona said of the relaxation he got during his All-Star break. ‘I don’t know if I ever can quite get away but you try to use it to your advantage. I got away for a couple of days and again, there was a lot going on that we needed to stay in touch with but when there’s not a game hanging over your head, it’s a little easier to relax a little bit.”
One form of relaxation for Francona is to lose himself in a mystery. He began the book ‘Storm Prey’ – a Lucas Davenport thriller in a series of novels by Davenport.
“I read about a half a book,” Francona said. “I guarantee you that book will be right there half-read when the season is over. I’ll read it in the winter.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo