Beltre MRI turns out ‘pretty good’
|07.15.10 at 5:38 pm ET|
Adrian Beltre had an MRI on his sore left hamstring and manager Terry Francona said the preliminary findings were “pretty good” but decided to hold him out of the starting lineup against the Texas Rangers on Thursday night at Fenway Park. Francona replaced Beltre with Bill Hall at third base for Thursday’s four-game series opener.
“I wasn’t real comfortable playing him tonight,” Francona said. “Hopefully, he’ll go out move around, maybe be available to pinch-hit, play [Friday], that would be, for me, best case. I just think with the travel, I just didn’t have a real good feeling running him out there. Just knowing the way he plays, I didn’t want him hurting himself.”
Beltre said he felt a cramp in his left hamstring that forced him from Sunday’s game in Toronto. General manager Theo Epstein said on Wednesday he didn’t anticipate Beltre winding up on the disabled list.
Victor Martinez told Francona that his left thumb is ‘feeling a little bit better’ and he is getting an exam on Thursday night.
Mike Lowell [strained right hip] went out early Thursday and ‘took some ground balls, [hit] some balls off the tee and in the cage,’ Francona said. ‘He actually felt pretty good. We’re going to start ramping him back up, too.’
‘A little bit,’ Francona said of the relaxation he got during his All-Star break. ‘I don’t know if I ever can quite get away but you try to use it to your advantage. I got away for a couple of days and again, there was a lot going on that we needed to stay in touch with but when there’s not a game hanging over your head, it’s a little easier to relax a little bit.”
One form of relaxation for Francona is to lose himself in a mystery. He began the book ‘Storm Prey’ – a Lucas Davenport thriller in a series of novels by Davenport.
“I read about a half a book,” Francona said. “I guarantee you that book will be right there half-read when the season is over. I’ll read it in the winter.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Top prospects on the move
- Cup of Coffee: Salem, Greenville bullpens fall apart, Pawtucket wins in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Margot homers in Hadlock debut
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon, Miller shine in Salem debuts
- Notes from the Field: Margot's Double-A debut and more
- Cup of Coffee: Portland welcomes new call-ups, Moncada has big night
- Dubon promoted to Salem, Jerez to Portland in series of roster moves
- Devers, Margot named to Futures Game roster
- Report: Marrero, Aro, Bradley up to Boston
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson sharp again, Espinoza debuts for GCL Sox