Fernando Cabrera to be designated for assignment
|07.17.10 at 12:31 am ET|
For the second straight season reliever Fernando Cabrera will be designated for assignment by the Red Sox, this time the move comes after the right-handed pitcher allowed three runs on two hits in 1 1/3 innings. Cabrera, who was promoted from Triple A Pawtucket, allowed a fifth-inning grand slam to Texas’ Bengie Molina, breaking open a 3-3 tie and leading the Rangers to an 8-4 win over the Red Sox.
The 28-year-old Cabrera, who had pitched in six games with the Sox in 2009, cleared waivers after being designated last year, ultimately choosing to rejoin the Red Sox. Cabrera was 0-3 with 13 saves and a 3.50 ERA in 30 appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox before being promoted.
The move will likely pave the way for the activation of reliever Manny Delcarmen, who was deemed ready to come off the 15-day disabled list earlier Friday by Red Sox manager Terry Francona. Francona said after the loss that could be multiple moves announced Saturday.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers