Fernando Cabrera to be designated for assignment
|07.17.10 at 12:31 am ET|
For the second straight season reliever Fernando Cabrera will be designated for assignment by the Red Sox, this time the move comes after the right-handed pitcher allowed three runs on two hits in 1 1/3 innings. Cabrera, who was promoted from Triple A Pawtucket, allowed a fifth-inning grand slam to Texas’ Bengie Molina, breaking open a 3-3 tie and leading the Rangers to an 8-4 win over the Red Sox.
The 28-year-old Cabrera, who had pitched in six games with the Sox in 2009, cleared waivers after being designated last year, ultimately choosing to rejoin the Red Sox. Cabrera was 0-3 with 13 saves and a 3.50 ERA in 30 appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox before being promoted.
The move will likely pave the way for the activation of reliever Manny Delcarmen, who was deemed ready to come off the 15-day disabled list earlier Friday by Red Sox manager Terry Francona. Francona said after the loss that could be multiple moves announced Saturday.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech