Martinez plays catch for first time since injury
|07.18.10 at 6:05 pm ET|
Victor Martinez took another step in the right direction, Sunday, when he played catch for the first time since going on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured left thumb May 29.
While it was just a very light game of toss, just the fact the catcher was able to wear a glove offered a good deal of optimism.
“It was a good step,” Martinez said. “Obviously I was playing catch very carefully, but it’s still sore. But at least I was able to put my hand in the glove, so that was a big thing.”
Martinez, who will be making the 10-game West Coast trip with the team, still wouldn’t put any timetable on his return. He has swung a bat, although taking swings from the right side continues to be somewhat uncomfortable.
“We’ll see how it feels tomorrow. We’re taking it day by day now,” Martinez said. “It’s definitely a lot better. That’s a good thing, that it’s a lot better. So I’m pretty excited about it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Reports: Red Sox receive 1-year IFA ban, 5 players made free agents
- Scouting Scratch: Aaron Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Monge carries Salem, Butler lifts Pawtucket
- Jerez and Romanski selected to Eastern League All-Star Game
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game