Martinez plays catch for first time since injury
|07.18.10 at 6:05 pm ET|
Victor Martinez took another step in the right direction, Sunday, when he played catch for the first time since going on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured left thumb May 29.
While it was just a very light game of toss, just the fact the catcher was able to wear a glove offered a good deal of optimism.
“It was a good step,” Martinez said. “Obviously I was playing catch very carefully, but it’s still sore. But at least I was able to put my hand in the glove, so that was a big thing.”
Martinez, who will be making the 10-game West Coast trip with the team, still wouldn’t put any timetable on his return. He has swung a bat, although taking swings from the right side continues to be somewhat uncomfortable.
“We’ll see how it feels tomorrow. We’re taking it day by day now,” Martinez said. “It’s definitely a lot better. That’s a good thing, that it’s a lot better. So I’m pretty excited about it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa
- Top 40 Season in Review: Cody Kukuk and Jamie Callahan
- Top 40 Season in Review: Dan Butler and Mauricio Dubon