Report: Red Sox draftee Ranaudo concludes dominant summer on Cape
|07.19.10 at 1:31 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, Red Sox draftee Anthony Ranaudo has left the Brewster Whitecaps after a dominant stint in the Cape Cod Baseball League. The news was first reported by thecollegebaseballblog.com, and confirmed by the Cape Cod Times.
Ranaudo, whose draft stock dipped this year due to injuries and struggles on the mound at Louisiana State University, turned in a dominant performance for Brewster this summer. Ranaudo was 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 23 2/3 innings, striking out 22, walking seven and allowing just seven hits. That performance fulfilled his summer ambitions, as expressed to WEEI.com shortly after he was drafted.
‘It’s a new start for me. Honestly, I feel like I’m in midseason form right now,’ said Ranaudo. ‘I told my dad the other day after my start, I wish I had five or six or seven more starts. Hopefully I can get that under my belt in the Cape, really develop some more and show the Red Sox that I’m still the same pitcher I was last year, still the same talent, and go from there.
‘The strides I made at the end of the season were significant. I feel like I’m pitching the best I pitched for a long time,’ he added. ‘Hopefully I can go to the Cape, prove myself more and show the baseball world that I’m still the same pitcher and still the same talent that I was entering the season and all of last year.’
Ranaudo was taken in the supplemental first round by the Red Sox with the team’s third pick, and the No. 39 overall choice. While such a pick has a recommended slot value of close to $850,000, Ranaudo — who was viewed as one of the top five or 10 draft-eligible players at the start of 2010 — is expected to seek money more in line with a top 10 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando