Report: Red Sox draftee Ranaudo concludes dominant summer on Cape
|07.19.10 at 1:31 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, Red Sox draftee Anthony Ranaudo has left the Brewster Whitecaps after a dominant stint in the Cape Cod Baseball League. The news was first reported by thecollegebaseballblog.com, and confirmed by the Cape Cod Times.
Ranaudo, whose draft stock dipped this year due to injuries and struggles on the mound at Louisiana State University, turned in a dominant performance for Brewster this summer. Ranaudo was 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 23 2/3 innings, striking out 22, walking seven and allowing just seven hits. That performance fulfilled his summer ambitions, as expressed to WEEI.com shortly after he was drafted.
‘It’s a new start for me. Honestly, I feel like I’m in midseason form right now,’ said Ranaudo. ‘I told my dad the other day after my start, I wish I had five or six or seven more starts. Hopefully I can get that under my belt in the Cape, really develop some more and show the Red Sox that I’m still the same pitcher I was last year, still the same talent, and go from there.
‘The strides I made at the end of the season were significant. I feel like I’m pitching the best I pitched for a long time,’ he added. ‘Hopefully I can go to the Cape, prove myself more and show the baseball world that I’m still the same pitcher and still the same talent that I was entering the season and all of last year.’
Ranaudo was taken in the supplemental first round by the Red Sox with the team’s third pick, and the No. 39 overall choice. While such a pick has a recommended slot value of close to $850,000, Ranaudo — who was viewed as one of the top five or 10 draft-eligible players at the start of 2010 — is expected to seek money more in line with a top 10 pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo