Victor Martinez eyeing Monday return
|07.25.10 at 5:47 pm ET|
Victor Martinez appears ready to be activated from the 15-day disabled list for Monday’s Red Sox game against the Angels in Anaheim, Sox manager Terry Francona told reporters prior to his team’s game against the Mariners in Seattle Sunday afternoon.
“I actually think he’s probably going to be ready,” Francona said. “If he comes in and says, ‘I’m hurting,’ we’re not going to do it. All things point to him being ready to go.”
Martinez has been on the DL since June 29, having fractured his left thumb June 28. The Sox’ catcher caught has recently caught the side sessions of both Tim Wakefield and Clay Buchholz, and planned on spending Sunday’s game in the bullpen warming up Red Sox relievers. Before his injury, Martinez was hitting .289 with nine homers, managing a .431 average against left-handers. Sox catchers were hitting a combined .147 without an RBI or extra-base hit in July.
For more Red Sox news see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester