Victor Martinez eyeing Monday return
|07.25.10 at 5:47 pm ET|
Victor Martinez appears ready to be activated from the 15-day disabled list for Monday’s Red Sox game against the Angels in Anaheim, Sox manager Terry Francona told reporters prior to his team’s game against the Mariners in Seattle Sunday afternoon.
“I actually think he’s probably going to be ready,” Francona said. “If he comes in and says, ‘I’m hurting,’ we’re not going to do it. All things point to him being ready to go.”
Martinez has been on the DL since June 29, having fractured his left thumb June 28. The Sox’ catcher caught has recently caught the side sessions of both Tim Wakefield and Clay Buchholz, and planned on spending Sunday’s game in the bullpen warming up Red Sox relievers. Before his injury, Martinez was hitting .289 with nine homers, managing a .431 average against left-handers. Sox catchers were hitting a combined .147 without an RBI or extra-base hit in July.
For more Red Sox news see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive