Victor Martinez eyeing Monday return
|07.25.10 at 5:47 pm ET|
Victor Martinez appears ready to be activated from the 15-day disabled list for Monday’s Red Sox game against the Angels in Anaheim, Sox manager Terry Francona told reporters prior to his team’s game against the Mariners in Seattle Sunday afternoon.
“I actually think he’s probably going to be ready,” Francona said. “If he comes in and says, ‘I’m hurting,’ we’re not going to do it. All things point to him being ready to go.”
Martinez has been on the DL since June 29, having fractured his left thumb June 28. The Sox’ catcher caught has recently caught the side sessions of both Tim Wakefield and Clay Buchholz, and planned on spending Sunday’s game in the bullpen warming up Red Sox relievers. Before his injury, Martinez was hitting .289 with nine homers, managing a .431 average against left-handers. Sox catchers were hitting a combined .147 without an RBI or extra-base hit in July.
For more Red Sox news see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland