|Source: Blue Jays, Red Sox not matching up||07.27.10 at 12:01 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox and Blue Jays currently aren’t a match in terms of making a deal for reliever Scott Downs. While the source points out the dynamic could change before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, there is “nothing right now.” WEEI.com’s Alex Speier is reporting, however, that the Jays continue to aggressively scout Red Sox Single-A pitcher Roman Mendez.
Speier reported earlier Monday that the Blue Jays have been asking for organizations’ “elite prospects” in return for Downs. When appearing on The Big Show last Friday, Peter Gammons reported that the Jays asked for Sox shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias in exchange for Downs.
As for Mendez, a source has told Speier that the Jays have sent multiple scouts to see a number of the young right-hander’s starts. Mendez, who turned 20 on Sunday, was dominant in his U.S. debut in 2009, producing a 1.99 ERA and striking out 47 while walking eight in the Gulf Coast League.
This year, however, he has struggled. He started the year at Single-A Greenville, but that assignment was short-lived after he got off to an 0-2 start with an 11.40 ERA, striking out 18 and walking 10 in 15 innings. He was sent to extended spring training and then reassigned to the Lowell Spinners, for whom he is 1-3 with a 4.50 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 17 walks in 28 innings.
Mendez, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, features a big arm, occasionally touching the mid-90s with his fastball while still working to develop a secondary arsenal.
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox, Drive produce walk-off wins
- PawSox activate Jackie Bradley, Jr. from disabled list
- Weekly Notes: De La Rosa, Betts take center stage
- Cup of Coffee: Shaw leads 18-hit attack in Sea Dogs rout
- Cup of Coffee: Gedman, big Salem seventh key system’s only win
- Christian Vazquez’s new focus at the plate starting to pay off
- Cup of Coffee: Augliera dominant in Salem victory
- Players of the Week, May 6-12: Rubby De La Rosa and Mookie Betts
- Cup of Coffee: Streaks continue for Mookie Betts, Chris Martin
- SoxProspects Video of the Week: Anthony Ranaudo