Source: Blue Jays, Red Sox not matching up
|07.27.10 at 12:01 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Red Sox and Blue Jays currently aren’t a match in terms of making a deal for reliever Scott Downs. While the source points out the dynamic could change before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, there is “nothing right now.” WEEI.com’s Alex Speier is reporting, however, that the Jays continue to aggressively scout Red Sox Single-A pitcher Roman Mendez.
Speier reported earlier Monday that the Blue Jays have been asking for organizations’ “elite prospects” in return for Downs. When appearing on The Big Show last Friday, Peter Gammons reported that the Jays asked for Sox shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias in exchange for Downs.
As for Mendez, a source has told Speier that the Jays have sent multiple scouts to see a number of the young right-hander’s starts. Mendez, who turned 20 on Sunday, was dominant in his U.S. debut in 2009, producing a 1.99 ERA and striking out 47 while walking eight in the Gulf Coast League.
This year, however, he has struggled. He started the year at Single-A Greenville, but that assignment was short-lived after he got off to an 0-2 start with an 11.40 ERA, striking out 18 and walking 10 in 15 innings. He was sent to extended spring training and then reassigned to the Lowell Spinners, for whom he is 1-3 with a 4.50 ERA with 29 strikeouts and 17 walks in 28 innings.
Mendez, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, features a big arm, occasionally touching the mid-90s with his fastball while still working to develop a secondary arsenal.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot