Sources: Sox, Ranaudo have yet to start talks
|07.27.10 at 8:08 pm ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. — According to multiple industry sources, the Red Sox and supplemental first-round draftee Anthony Ranaudo have yet to begin contract negotiations. The right-hander recently concluded a summer pitching for Brewster of the Cape Cod League, having accomplished his goal of demonstrating that he was once again healthy. In 29 2/3 innings for the Whitecaps, he did not allow an earned run while striking out 31, walking eight and allowing just 10 hits.
Ranaudo, who is advised by Scott Boras, entered 2010 regarded as the best college pitcher in the draft, but his stock slipped due to a stress reaction in his right forearm that resulted in both time missed and then a performance setback, as the 6-foot-7 hurler went 5-3 with a 7.32 ERA. That struggle left him available for the Sox with their third overall pick, the 39th in the draft.
After being drafted, Ranaudo went to the Cape and rebounded, showed low- to mid-90s velocity, a strong breaking ball and a changeup. A report in the Cape Cod Times this summer suggested that if he did not receive a bonus commensurate with a top 10 draft pick, the 20-year-old would be willing to return to LSU and re-enter the draft in 2011.
Because Ranaudo is certain to seek an above-slot bonus, any deal would be unlikely to be reached until shortly before the Aug. 16 deadline for picks to sign. Boras and his advisees typically do not begin negotiations until close to that deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles