Lucchino: Sox ‘aggressively’ approaching trade market
|07.28.10 at 8:06 pm ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino, following his team’s three-game sweep over the Angels, suggested that the Sox have positioned themselves to contend over the duration of the season. As such, he suggests that the Sox are approaching the July 31 deadline for non-waiver trades aggressively, looking for opportunities to upgrade over the next three days.
“I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,” said Lucchino. “And I think we absolutely have a chance.”
Lucchino could not say with any certainty whether the Sox would actually be able to make a move, but he made clear the thrust of the team’s efforts. Even though the Sox seemed in some danger of falling out of contention during the 10-game West Coast roadtrip, the team’s 6-4 mark during the stretch left it 6 1/2 games behind the Yankees and 4 1/2 games behind the Rays (pending the results of both clubs on Thursday evening). That margin, Lucchino suggested, was one that left the Sox inclined to continue the pursuit of reinforcements.
“Look at our track record. Look at all the moves we’ve made,” Lucchino said. “I said the other day, there is no such thing as a do-or-die game in July. There is plenty of time for us to qualify for the postseason. We’ve got the cavalry on the horizon with injured players, and we’re going to make continuing efforts to do something by July 31 if it’s practical or possible.
“You don’t know this far in advance [whether the team will make a move],” he added. “I’m told by [GM Theo Epstein] that it’s a harder market climate in which to make a deal, but we always want to do it. When we have a chance, when we’re in the hunt, we always want to do it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela