Source: Rangers not ruling out Lowell
|07.28.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Rangers haven’t ruled out attempting to acquire Red Sox infielder Mike Lowell, although Texas’ interest will most likely depend on how the market unfolds in the days leading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
The Rangers have expressed interest in various first base options, such as Florida’s Jorge Cantu, Baltimore’s Ty Wigginton, and Prince Fielder from the Brewers.
Lowell had three more hits while rehabbing with Triple A Pawtucket Wednesday, including his fourth home run in the last two days. The 36-year-old, who could be activated with the Red Sox Friday, is hitting .500 (11-for-22) with four doubles, four homers and 10 RBI in five rehab appearances.
The Tigers’ interest in Lowell diminished with the acquisition of Jhonny Peralta from Cleveland Wednesday. Detroit had been scouting Lowell since the third baseman Brandon Inge suffered a broken hand.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville