Source: Rangers not ruling out Lowell
|07.28.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Rangers haven’t ruled out attempting to acquire Red Sox infielder Mike Lowell, although Texas’ interest will most likely depend on how the market unfolds in the days leading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
The Rangers have expressed interest in various first base options, such as Florida’s Jorge Cantu, Baltimore’s Ty Wigginton, and Prince Fielder from the Brewers.
Lowell had three more hits while rehabbing with Triple A Pawtucket Wednesday, including his fourth home run in the last two days. The 36-year-old, who could be activated with the Red Sox Friday, is hitting .500 (11-for-22) with four doubles, four homers and 10 RBI in five rehab appearances.
The Tigers’ interest in Lowell diminished with the acquisition of Jhonny Peralta from Cleveland Wednesday. Detroit had been scouting Lowell since the third baseman Brandon Inge suffered a broken hand.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller