Source: Rangers not ruling out Lowell
|07.28.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
According to a major league source, the Rangers haven’t ruled out attempting to acquire Red Sox infielder Mike Lowell, although Texas’ interest will most likely depend on how the market unfolds in the days leading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline.
The Rangers have expressed interest in various first base options, such as Florida’s Jorge Cantu, Baltimore’s Ty Wigginton, and Prince Fielder from the Brewers.
Lowell had three more hits while rehabbing with Triple A Pawtucket Wednesday, including his fourth home run in the last two days. The 36-year-old, who could be activated with the Red Sox Friday, is hitting .500 (11-for-22) with four doubles, four homers and 10 RBI in five rehab appearances.
The Tigers’ interest in Lowell diminished with the acquisition of Jhonny Peralta from Cleveland Wednesday. Detroit had been scouting Lowell since the third baseman Brandon Inge suffered a broken hand.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen