Sources: Red Sox priority remains bullpen help
|07.29.10 at 12:10 am ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. ‘ According to multiple sources, the Red Sox‘ primary focus heading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline remains finding help in the bullpen, although they are continuing to see how the catching and outfielder markets develop. The sources indicate that the likelihood is that if a deal is to be made it will most likely be completed either Friday or Saturday.
One team source characterized a potential deal for bullpen help as “risky business,” in which the top available arms command a high price. Leery of overpaying for a volatile commodity, the Sox are also trying to identify candidates who have, perhaps, underperformed but who possess the stuff and/or track record to think that they could improve with a change of scenery. That said, there is also a feeling across baseball that the demands for higher end relievers could drop as the deadline nears.
Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com following the Red Sox’ 7-3 victory over the Angels Wednesday that the Red Sox were approaching the deadline ‘aggressively.’
‘I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,’ said Lucchino. ‘And I think we absolutely have a chance.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort
- Teddy Stankiewicz debuted streamlined delivery in first spring outing