Sources: Red Sox priority remains bullpen help
|07.29.10 at 12:10 am ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. ‘ According to multiple sources, the Red Sox‘ primary focus heading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline remains finding help in the bullpen, although they are continuing to see how the catching and outfielder markets develop. The sources indicate that the likelihood is that if a deal is to be made it will most likely be completed either Friday or Saturday.
One team source characterized a potential deal for bullpen help as “risky business,” in which the top available arms command a high price. Leery of overpaying for a volatile commodity, the Sox are also trying to identify candidates who have, perhaps, underperformed but who possess the stuff and/or track record to think that they could improve with a change of scenery. That said, there is also a feeling across baseball that the demands for higher end relievers could drop as the deadline nears.
Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com following the Red Sox’ 7-3 victory over the Angels Wednesday that the Red Sox were approaching the deadline ‘aggressively.’
‘I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,’ said Lucchino. ‘And I think we absolutely have a chance.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome