Sources: Red Sox priority remains bullpen help
|07.29.10 at 12:10 am ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. ‘ According to multiple sources, the Red Sox‘ primary focus heading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline remains finding help in the bullpen, although they are continuing to see how the catching and outfielder markets develop. The sources indicate that the likelihood is that if a deal is to be made it will most likely be completed either Friday or Saturday.
One team source characterized a potential deal for bullpen help as “risky business,” in which the top available arms command a high price. Leery of overpaying for a volatile commodity, the Sox are also trying to identify candidates who have, perhaps, underperformed but who possess the stuff and/or track record to think that they could improve with a change of scenery. That said, there is also a feeling across baseball that the demands for higher end relievers could drop as the deadline nears.
Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com following the Red Sox’ 7-3 victory over the Angels Wednesday that the Red Sox were approaching the deadline ‘aggressively.’
‘I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,’ said Lucchino. ‘And I think we absolutely have a chance.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland