Sources: Red Sox priority remains bullpen help
|07.29.10 at 12:10 am ET|
ANAHEIM, Calif. ‘ According to multiple sources, the Red Sox‘ primary focus heading into Saturday’s non-waiver trade deadline remains finding help in the bullpen, although they are continuing to see how the catching and outfielder markets develop. The sources indicate that the likelihood is that if a deal is to be made it will most likely be completed either Friday or Saturday.
One team source characterized a potential deal for bullpen help as “risky business,” in which the top available arms command a high price. Leery of overpaying for a volatile commodity, the Sox are also trying to identify candidates who have, perhaps, underperformed but who possess the stuff and/or track record to think that they could improve with a change of scenery. That said, there is also a feeling across baseball that the demands for higher end relievers could drop as the deadline nears.
Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com following the Red Sox’ 7-3 victory over the Angels Wednesday that the Red Sox were approaching the deadline ‘aggressively.’
‘I think there’s an obligation we have in ownership and the front office to look aggressively to see if there’s a way we can make the team better as long as we have a chance in July,’ said Lucchino. ‘And I think we absolutely have a chance.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash