Ramon Ramirez traded to Giants, Richardson recalled
|07.31.10 at 4:05 pm ET|
The Sox had talked with the Mets over recent weeks about trading the right-hander to New York, but a major league source said that the two sides had not matched up. The Mets were interested in Ramirez, whom they viewed as a good buy-low candidate, and the two sides had discussed a swap of the Sox reliever for Rod Barajas before the catcher went on the disabled list. The two sides also discussed Ramirez for a prospect, but could not match up.
Ramirez was 0-3 with a 4.46 ERA in 44 appearances for the Red Sox this year, though he had been better of late. He had a 2.86 ERA since June 5, a period during which opponents are hitting .216 with a .622 OPS against him. He has struck out 17 and walked seven in 22 innings during the run.
In 2009, he was 7-4 with a 2.84 mark in his first season in Boston. The 28-year-old was originally acquired from the Royals after the 2008 season in exchange for outfielder Coco Crisp.
Turpen has been pitching for Richmond in the Double-A Eastern League, where he had a 4.09 ERA, 42 strikeouts and 19 walks in 50 2/3 innings. In four minor league seasons since being taken in the eighth round of the 2007 draft, he has a 2.69 ERA and 180 strikeouts in 220 2/3 innings.
“There’s a chance given service time and some other things that there might be some turnover in the pen and he’s someone who can be part of the solution looking ahead. Maybe not this year, but looking at our future bullpen,” said Sox GM Theo Epstein. “He’s a performer that comes from a difficult arm angle, keeps the ball on the ground and throws strikes. We like his demeanor and the three-pitch mix.”
With Ramirez gone, the Sox recalled left-hander Dustin Richardson from Triple-A Pawtucket. Richardson has a 2.57 ERA in 13 big league appearances (spanning just seven innings) this year. He was 3-0 with a 3.19 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 36 2/3 innings for Triple-A Pawtucket this year.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland