Some fact and fiction from the Red Sox’ trade deadline
|07.31.10 at 6:15 pm ET|
The non-waiver trade deadline has come and gone and the Red Sox came away with some pieces that could help in the future in catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Daniel Turpin. They also promoted outfield prospect Ryan Kalish, along with reliever Dustin Richardson, while also starting the process of integrating Felix Doubront into the bullpen.
There were a grouping of players, however, which the Sox felt like might immediately have an impact on the 2010 club which ended up being deemed not worth the investment.
A handful of potential late-inning relievers were in the Sox’ sights as the trade deadline’s final minutes ticked away, a group that included Seattle’s Brandon League, along with Scott Downs of Toronto and Kerry Wood of the Indians. What wasn’t available, despite reports, were the kind of closers who might have warranted giving up top prospects. Both Kansas City’s Joakim Soria (who had the Red Sox on his list of teams he would have to approve a trade to) and Florida’s Leo Nunez were for all intent and purposes unavailable.
As for outfielders, the Red Sox’ top priority was David DeJesus up until the news that the Kansas City outfielder was being forced to undergo season-ending surgery on his right thumb. Philadelphia’s Jayson Werth also was high on the Sox’ list, but approximately five days ago the Phillies decided they were going to hold on to the outfielder.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston