Some fact and fiction from the Red Sox’ trade deadline
|07.31.10 at 6:15 pm ET|
The non-waiver trade deadline has come and gone and the Red Sox came away with some pieces that could help in the future in catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and pitcher Daniel Turpin. They also promoted outfield prospect Ryan Kalish, along with reliever Dustin Richardson, while also starting the process of integrating Felix Doubront into the bullpen.
There were a grouping of players, however, which the Sox felt like might immediately have an impact on the 2010 club which ended up being deemed not worth the investment.
A handful of potential late-inning relievers were in the Sox’ sights as the trade deadline’s final minutes ticked away, a group that included Seattle’s Brandon League, along with Scott Downs of Toronto and Kerry Wood of the Indians. What wasn’t available, despite reports, were the kind of closers who might have warranted giving up top prospects. Both Kansas City’s Joakim Soria (who had the Red Sox on his list of teams he would have to approve a trade to) and Florida’s Leo Nunez were for all intent and purposes unavailable.
As for outfielders, the Red Sox’ top priority was David DeJesus up until the news that the Kansas City outfielder was being forced to undergo season-ending surgery on his right thumb. Philadelphia’s Jayson Werth also was high on the Sox’ list, but approximately five days ago the Phillies decided they were going to hold on to the outfielder.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis blasts three home runs for Salem
- Scouting Scratch: First Look at the Portland Bullpen