Ellsbury set to be activated on Wednesday
|08.04.10 at 12:11 am ET|
Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (broken ribs) will be activated from the disabled list on Wednesday, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said following Tuesday night’s game. Ellsbury, who has not played for the Red Sox since May 24, had three hits Tuesday in his final rehab game with Triple-A Pawtucket, and finished his three games with the PawSox having gone 7-for-14.
“He brings something to our lineup that we’ve been missing,” Francona said of Ellsbury, who led the AL in steals in both 2008 and 2009. “That threat to run and the speed when he is healthy and going, what he can do, that gives us a different look that teams have to respect.”
The Red Sox will try to be cautious with Ellsbury to ensure that he does not aggravate the rib area. Ellsbury said last month that he injured his intercostal region while swinging during his first attempt to return from the injury in May. This time, the Sox will limit his swinging pre-game in hopes of keeping him on the field down the stretch.
With Kevin Youkilis having landed on the disabled list due to a strained adductor muscle on his right thumb, the Sox are hopeful that Ellsbury can offset some of the damage from the loss of their best hitter.
“Jacoby’s an elite base stealer. Pitchers feel that pressure every time he gets on,” said Mike Lowell. “Hopefully he can give us a great boost. We kind of need it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Groome impresses in spring start
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp