Ellsbury set to be activated on Wednesday
|08.04.10 at 12:11 am ET|
Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (broken ribs) will be activated from the disabled list on Wednesday, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said following Tuesday night’s game. Ellsbury, who has not played for the Red Sox since May 24, had three hits Tuesday in his final rehab game with Triple-A Pawtucket, and finished his three games with the PawSox having gone 7-for-14.
“He brings something to our lineup that we’ve been missing,” Francona said of Ellsbury, who led the AL in steals in both 2008 and 2009. “That threat to run and the speed when he is healthy and going, what he can do, that gives us a different look that teams have to respect.”
The Red Sox will try to be cautious with Ellsbury to ensure that he does not aggravate the rib area. Ellsbury said last month that he injured his intercostal region while swinging during his first attempt to return from the injury in May. This time, the Sox will limit his swinging pre-game in hopes of keeping him on the field down the stretch.
With Kevin Youkilis having landed on the disabled list due to a strained adductor muscle on his right thumb, the Sox are hopeful that Ellsbury can offset some of the damage from the loss of their best hitter.
“Jacoby’s an elite base stealer. Pitchers feel that pressure every time he gets on,” said Mike Lowell. “Hopefully he can give us a great boost. We kind of need it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again