Ellsbury set to be activated on Wednesday
|08.04.10 at 12:11 am ET|
Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (broken ribs) will be activated from the disabled list on Wednesday, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said following Tuesday night’s game. Ellsbury, who has not played for the Red Sox since May 24, had three hits Tuesday in his final rehab game with Triple-A Pawtucket, and finished his three games with the PawSox having gone 7-for-14.
“He brings something to our lineup that we’ve been missing,” Francona said of Ellsbury, who led the AL in steals in both 2008 and 2009. “That threat to run and the speed when he is healthy and going, what he can do, that gives us a different look that teams have to respect.”
The Red Sox will try to be cautious with Ellsbury to ensure that he does not aggravate the rib area. Ellsbury said last month that he injured his intercostal region while swinging during his first attempt to return from the injury in May. This time, the Sox will limit his swinging pre-game in hopes of keeping him on the field down the stretch.
With Kevin Youkilis having landed on the disabled list due to a strained adductor muscle on his right thumb, the Sox are hopeful that Ellsbury can offset some of the damage from the loss of their best hitter.
“Jacoby’s an elite base stealer. Pitchers feel that pressure every time he gets on,” said Mike Lowell. “Hopefully he can give us a great boost. We kind of need it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball
- Cup of Coffee: Acosta scores four in GCL Sox sweep
- Weekly Notes: Betts returns to Pawtucket, Owens wins ninth straight
- 2014 Draft recap: Sox sign 31 players, with impact potential at the top
- Cup of Coffee: Ranaudo, Johnson impress, Stankiewicz fans nine
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #61: Wild Turkeys, July 2, and the Draft