Carlos Delgado to Red Sox ‘seems a reach, but you never know’
|08.05.10 at 7:02 pm ET|
While there is always a chance that Carlos Delgado could sign with the Red Sox — they are searching for a left-handed hitting first baseman and that’s exactly what the 38-year-old is — a source familiar with the situation said Delgado filling the Sox’ void “seems a reach, but you never know.”
The source suggests the Red Sox will first monitor which players pass through trade waivers in the coming days. And while Delgado has drawn interest from the Sox in the past — and is, according to the Boston Herald, ready to participate in a workout for the Red Sox in the coming days — there are concerns regarding the fact he hasn’t played in the big leagues since May 10, 2009, having spent the 15 months recovering from hip surgery. Still, the Sox are keeping in open mind as Delgado’s return seemingly draws near.
Another factor in weighing the potential acquisition of Delgado is exactly how much Mike Lowell is able to play with Kevin Youkilis now out for the season with a thumb injury. Both Red Sox manager Terry Francona and general manager Theo Epstein said Thursday that Lowell would start four of the next five games.
One major league source familiar with Delgado’s medical history suggests that because of the uncertainty regarding how much Lowell can play at first Delgado would be a “poor fit” for the Red Sox, noting, “He is worth a dice roll, but not for the Sox.”
According to ESPN.com, the White Sox have had extensive conversations with Delgado’s representatives, hoping he could fill a role as the team’s left-handed designated hitter. Delgado’s agent, David Sloane, was quoted in the report as saying that the first baseman would need a minor-league rehab assignment.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo