Source: Sox ‘doing their homework’ on Delgado
|08.06.10 at 7:49 pm ET|
NEW YORK — According to a major league source, the Red Sox were simply “doing their homework” by holding a workout for first baseman Carlos Delgado in New York on Friday. Delgado has not played since May 2009, when hip surgery sidelined him for the remainder of a season that he started by hitting .298 with a .914 OPS and four homers in 26 games for the Mets.
Delgado has been out of pro ball in the States this year, but he has been talking to teams in hopes of finding a fit for the rest of the year. While the Sox are exploring the market for left-handed hitting first basemen who might make complement the right-handed Mike Lowell (who has his own hip issues), Delgado’s own physical limitations might make him an imperfect match. Even so, that is a question that the Sox are at least willing to consider, leading them to watch the first baseman’s workout on Friday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens