Source: Sox ‘doing their homework’ on Delgado
|08.06.10 at 7:49 pm ET|
NEW YORK — According to a major league source, the Red Sox were simply “doing their homework” by holding a workout for first baseman Carlos Delgado in New York on Friday. Delgado has not played since May 2009, when hip surgery sidelined him for the remainder of a season that he started by hitting .298 with a .914 OPS and four homers in 26 games for the Mets.
Delgado has been out of pro ball in the States this year, but he has been talking to teams in hopes of finding a fit for the rest of the year. While the Sox are exploring the market for left-handed hitting first basemen who might make complement the right-handed Mike Lowell (who has his own hip issues), Delgado’s own physical limitations might make him an imperfect match. Even so, that is a question that the Sox are at least willing to consider, leading them to watch the first baseman’s workout on Friday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller