Red Sox vs. Blue Jays matchups, 8/10
|08.10.10 at 10:38 am ET|
The Red Sox earned a split of their four-game series against the Yankees by winning Monday, 2-1. On Tuesday, they begin a three-game set against a Blue Jays team that has won five of its last six ‘ against the Rays and Yankees.
The Sox will send Daisuke Matsuzaka to the mound with a record of 8-3 and a 3.96 ERA. Against the Blue Jays in his career, Matsuzaka is 6-1 with a 3.45 ERA.
Matsuzaka pitched well in his last two outings against the Indians and Tigers, totaling 14 innings, five earned runs and 11 strikeouts to help the Sox earn two important wins.
The Blue Jays will hand the ball to Ricky Romero, who is 9-7 with a 3.37 ERA. The Sox have hit well against Romero, especially David Ortiz, who in 14 plate appearances has a .462 batting average with three doubles, a home run and five RBI.
Romero’s best outing of the season came against the Yankees on Aug. 3, when he pitched a complete game and held his opponent to two runs.
Red Sox vs. Ricky Romero
J.D. Drew (16 career plate appearances): .417/.533/.417, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (14): .462/.500/.923, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Victor Martinez (12): .364/.417/.364, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (11): .333/.300/.444, 1 double, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mike Lowell (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (5): .667/.800/1.000, 1 double, 2 walks
Bill Hall (4): .750/.750/1.500, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Eric Patterson (3): .000/.000/.000
Darnell McDonald (2): .500/.500/.500
Marco Scutaro (2): .500/.500/.500
Kevin Cash (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Blue Jays vs. Daisuke Matsuzaka
Vernon Wells (27 career plate appearances): .192 average/ .222 OBP/ .423 SLG, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Lyle Overbay (25): .217/.280/.522, 1 double, 2 home runs, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Aaron Hill (21): .250/.286/.600, 1 double, 2 home runs, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Adam Lind (21): .050/.095/.050, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
John McDonald (10): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Jose Molina (7): .143/.143/.286, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jose Bautista (6): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Fred Lewis (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Travis Snider (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 RBI
Dewayne Wise (3): .000/.000/.000
Edwin Encarnacion (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
J.P. Arencibia has not faced the Red Sox starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville