Red Sox vs. Blue Jays matchups, 8/10
|08.10.10 at 10:38 am ET|
The Red Sox earned a split of their four-game series against the Yankees by winning Monday, 2-1. On Tuesday, they begin a three-game set against a Blue Jays team that has won five of its last six ‘ against the Rays and Yankees.
The Sox will send Daisuke Matsuzaka to the mound with a record of 8-3 and a 3.96 ERA. Against the Blue Jays in his career, Matsuzaka is 6-1 with a 3.45 ERA.
Matsuzaka pitched well in his last two outings against the Indians and Tigers, totaling 14 innings, five earned runs and 11 strikeouts to help the Sox earn two important wins.
The Blue Jays will hand the ball to Ricky Romero, who is 9-7 with a 3.37 ERA. The Sox have hit well against Romero, especially David Ortiz, who in 14 plate appearances has a .462 batting average with three doubles, a home run and five RBI.
Romero’s best outing of the season came against the Yankees on Aug. 3, when he pitched a complete game and held his opponent to two runs.
Red Sox vs. Ricky Romero
J.D. Drew (16 career plate appearances): .417/.533/.417, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
David Ortiz (14): .462/.500/.923, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Victor Martinez (12): .364/.417/.364, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (11): .333/.300/.444, 1 double, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mike Lowell (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Adrian Beltre (5): .667/.800/1.000, 1 double, 2 walks
Bill Hall (4): .750/.750/1.500, 1 home run, 2 RBI
Eric Patterson (3): .000/.000/.000
Darnell McDonald (2): .500/.500/.500
Marco Scutaro (2): .500/.500/.500
Kevin Cash (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Blue Jays vs. Daisuke Matsuzaka
Vernon Wells (27 career plate appearances): .192 average/ .222 OBP/ .423 SLG, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Lyle Overbay (25): .217/.280/.522, 1 double, 2 home runs, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Aaron Hill (21): .250/.286/.600, 1 double, 2 home runs, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Adam Lind (21): .050/.095/.050, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
John McDonald (10): .000/.000/.000, 4 strikeouts
Jose Molina (7): .143/.143/.286, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jose Bautista (6): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Fred Lewis (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Travis Snider (4): .000/.250/.000, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 RBI
Dewayne Wise (3): .000/.000/.000
Edwin Encarnacion (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 strikeout
J.P. Arencibia has not faced the Red Sox starter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win