More progress for Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland
|08.13.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox received another promising update on minor leaguer Ryan Westmoreland, receiving word that he is showing improvements in many areas in his ongoing recovery from brain surgery in March. The 20-year-old is now running, doing some throwing and he has progressed to swinging off a tee and taking some soft toss, according to a baseball source.
The Rhode Islander had said that it is his goal to take part in the Fall Instructional League in some capacity (even if not playing in games). Based on the medical reports on his rehab to date, it appears there is a good likelihood that he will be able to fulfill that goal as he continues to increase his baseball activities.
Westmoreland was rated the top Red Sox prospect entering the 2010 season by Baseball America. However, he required surgery in March to remove a cavernous malformation at the stem of his brain. Since then, he has made what doctors have described to him as “remarkable” progress, a trend that is continuing with the latest reports.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit WEEI.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory