More progress for Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland
|08.13.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox received another promising update on minor leaguer Ryan Westmoreland, receiving word that he is showing improvements in many areas in his ongoing recovery from brain surgery in March. The 20-year-old is now running, doing some throwing and he has progressed to swinging off a tee and taking some soft toss, according to a baseball source.
The Rhode Islander had said that it is his goal to take part in the Fall Instructional League in some capacity (even if not playing in games). Based on the medical reports on his rehab to date, it appears there is a good likelihood that he will be able to fulfill that goal as he continues to increase his baseball activities.
Westmoreland was rated the top Red Sox prospect entering the 2010 season by Baseball America. However, he required surgery in March to remove a cavernous malformation at the stem of his brain. Since then, he has made what doctors have described to him as “remarkable” progress, a trend that is continuing with the latest reports.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit WEEI.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando