More progress for Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland
|08.13.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox received another promising update on minor leaguer Ryan Westmoreland, receiving word that he is showing improvements in many areas in his ongoing recovery from brain surgery in March. The 20-year-old is now running, doing some throwing and he has progressed to swinging off a tee and taking some soft toss, according to a baseball source.
The Rhode Islander had said that it is his goal to take part in the Fall Instructional League in some capacity (even if not playing in games). Based on the medical reports on his rehab to date, it appears there is a good likelihood that he will be able to fulfill that goal as he continues to increase his baseball activities.
Westmoreland was rated the top Red Sox prospect entering the 2010 season by Baseball America. However, he required surgery in March to remove a cavernous malformation at the stem of his brain. Since then, he has made what doctors have described to him as “remarkable” progress, a trend that is continuing with the latest reports.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit WEEI.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Game
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot