More progress for Sox prospect Ryan Westmoreland
|08.13.10 at 4:48 pm ET|
The Red Sox received another promising update on minor leaguer Ryan Westmoreland, receiving word that he is showing improvements in many areas in his ongoing recovery from brain surgery in March. The 20-year-old is now running, doing some throwing and he has progressed to swinging off a tee and taking some soft toss, according to a baseball source.
The Rhode Islander had said that it is his goal to take part in the Fall Instructional League in some capacity (even if not playing in games). Based on the medical reports on his rehab to date, it appears there is a good likelihood that he will be able to fulfill that goal as he continues to increase his baseball activities.
Westmoreland was rated the top Red Sox prospect entering the 2010 season by Baseball America. However, he required surgery in March to remove a cavernous malformation at the stem of his brain. Since then, he has made what doctors have described to him as “remarkable” progress, a trend that is continuing with the latest reports.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit WEEI.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?