Red Sox come to terms with Workman, Coyle
|08.16.10 at 4:58 pm ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have come to terms with both second-round selection Brandon Workman, and Sean Coyle, their third-round pick.
Workman, a right-handed pitcher out of the University of Texas (the draft’s 57th round overall pick), will sign a deal that includes an $800,000 signing bonus. The agreement was finalized after a call between the Red Sox and Workman’s representatives on a 2 p.m. call, with the player coming down from his asking price of $1.25 million and the Sox coming up from the MLB’s suggested slot of approximately $634,000. He will begin his professional career in the coming days, reporting to Fort Myers.
Coyle the 110th overall selection in this year’s amateur draft, has agreed to a signing bonus of $1.3 million, WEEI.com has confirmed (the bonus amount was first reported by Baseball America’s Jim Callis). The Pennsylvania high school star flew into Boston with his father for a physical on Monday, and to see if the final details of a contract could be arranged. The finalized terms were well above MLB’s recommended slot of $300,000.
For more coverage of the Red Sox signings, and all other Sox coverage, visit the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday