Red Sox come to terms with Workman, Coyle
|08.16.10 at 4:58 pm ET|
According to sources familiar with the situation, the Red Sox have come to terms with both second-round selection Brandon Workman, and Sean Coyle, their third-round pick.
Workman, a right-handed pitcher out of the University of Texas (the draft’s 57th round overall pick), will sign a deal that includes an $800,000 signing bonus. The agreement was finalized after a call between the Red Sox and Workman’s representatives on a 2 p.m. call, with the player coming down from his asking price of $1.25 million and the Sox coming up from the MLB’s suggested slot of approximately $634,000. He will begin his professional career in the coming days, reporting to Fort Myers.
Coyle the 110th overall selection in this year’s amateur draft, has agreed to a signing bonus of $1.3 million, WEEI.com has confirmed (the bonus amount was first reported by Baseball America’s Jim Callis). The Pennsylvania high school star flew into Boston with his father for a physical on Monday, and to see if the final details of a contract could be arranged. The finalized terms were well above MLB’s recommended slot of $300,000.
For more coverage of the Red Sox signings, and all other Sox coverage, visit the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven