Cecchini signs, donates chunk of bonus to Jimmy Fund
|08.16.10 at 6:21 pm ET|
Garin Cecchini has told WEEI.com that he will be signing with the Red Sox for $1.31 million, a step down from his initial signing bonus demands that scared other teams away, but still a sizable investment. A fourth-round pick, Cecchini was considered a top player in the draft before tearing his ACL in March. Cecchini played shortstop in high school but is expected to be a third baseman in the Red Sox organization.
Cecchini is considered a toolsy infielder with what Garye LaFevers, his Team USA coach calls a “selectively aggressive” approach at the plate. The 19-year-old is also considered to be capable of having an impact on the basepaths, as he’s run a 6.73 60-yard dash and stole 55 bases as a high school junior at Barbe High School in Lake Charles, La.
Upon reaching the agreement with the Red Sox, Cecchini decided to donate $20,000 to the Jimmy Fund.
“I’ve been blessed and need to give back,” Cecchini told WEEI.com in a text message Monday.
A dedicated student with educational goals and hopes of becoming a lawyer after college, Cecchini was verbally committed to LSU but was willing to entertain going pro if he received a sizable offer. As a result, he wrote to each team asking them to bypass him in the draft unless they felt they could meet his contractual demands, which at the time consisted of a $1.75 million signing bonus.
Cecchini recently was in town to take a physical with the Red Sox, but flew in and out without getting a deal done. Things progressed in negotiations, however, to the point where Cecchini expressed confidence earlier Monday that an agreement could be reached.
One knock on Cecchini is his injury history, which began when he first saw Dr. James Andrews as a youngster. A quarterback, Cecchini required rotator cuff surgery when he was 12. He quit football to focus on baseball and playing for one of Louisiana’s most popular coaches — his father.
‘It’s been a way of life,’ Glenn Cecchini told WEEI.com earlier in the summer. ‘When they were old enough — I’m talking about when they could walk — we would bring them to the field because both of us were coaching. They would just hang out and we’d have people drop them off from school at the baseball field. They would do their homework at the field.’
With Cecchini in the fold, 39th overall pick Anthony Ranaudo remains the biggest piece of the Red Sox 2010 draft haul to still be unsigned. The team has until midnight to agree with the right-hander before they lose his rights and he returns to LSU as a draft-elgible senior.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven