Red Sox reach agreement with Ranaudo
|08.17.10 at 12:00 am ET|
The Red Sox signed supplemental first-round pick (No. 39 overall) Anthony Ranaudo to a $2.55 million deal just before the midnight deadline to strike deals with 2010 selections. Until the last moment, Ranaudo had been prepared to return to Louisiana State University.
According to one source, the Sox had ‘no clue’ about whether they would be able to convince Ranaudo to turn pro until the final minutes before midnight. But in the end, the team did just that with a pitcher who entered the 2010 season viewed as potentially the top available college pitcher, but whose stock slipped due to injury and poor performance.
But Ranaudo proved that he was healthy again with a dominant performance in the summer Cape League, thus convincing the Sox that he was worthy of a bonus in line with one of the top players in the draft, as indicated by the bonus (the largest ever given by the Sox to a college player not on a major league deal). Ranaudo, who is advised by Scott Boras, received a deal for roughly three times the MLB slot recommendation for a player taken at his spot in the draft. The bonus figure is roughly in line with the MLB slot recommendation for the No. 5 overall pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin