Red Sox reach agreement with Ranaudo
|08.17.10 at 12:00 am ET|
The Red Sox signed supplemental first-round pick (No. 39 overall) Anthony Ranaudo to a $2.55 million deal just before the midnight deadline to strike deals with 2010 selections. Until the last moment, Ranaudo had been prepared to return to Louisiana State University.
According to one source, the Sox had ‘no clue’ about whether they would be able to convince Ranaudo to turn pro until the final minutes before midnight. But in the end, the team did just that with a pitcher who entered the 2010 season viewed as potentially the top available college pitcher, but whose stock slipped due to injury and poor performance.
But Ranaudo proved that he was healthy again with a dominant performance in the summer Cape League, thus convincing the Sox that he was worthy of a bonus in line with one of the top players in the draft, as indicated by the bonus (the largest ever given by the Sox to a college player not on a major league deal). Ranaudo, who is advised by Scott Boras, received a deal for roughly three times the MLB slot recommendation for a player taken at his spot in the draft. The bonus figure is roughly in line with the MLB slot recommendation for the No. 5 overall pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash