Red Sox reach agreement with Ranaudo
|08.17.10 at 12:00 am ET|
The Red Sox signed supplemental first-round pick (No. 39 overall) Anthony Ranaudo to a $2.55 million deal just before the midnight deadline to strike deals with 2010 selections. Until the last moment, Ranaudo had been prepared to return to Louisiana State University.
According to one source, the Sox had ‘no clue’ about whether they would be able to convince Ranaudo to turn pro until the final minutes before midnight. But in the end, the team did just that with a pitcher who entered the 2010 season viewed as potentially the top available college pitcher, but whose stock slipped due to injury and poor performance.
But Ranaudo proved that he was healthy again with a dominant performance in the summer Cape League, thus convincing the Sox that he was worthy of a bonus in line with one of the top players in the draft, as indicated by the bonus (the largest ever given by the Sox to a college player not on a major league deal). Ranaudo, who is advised by Scott Boras, received a deal for roughly three times the MLB slot recommendation for a player taken at his spot in the draft. The bonus figure is roughly in line with the MLB slot recommendation for the No. 5 overall pick.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome