Sox, Cuban prospect Ibarra renegotiated deal after failed physical
|08.18.10 at 11:41 pm ET|
According to industry sources, Red Sox catcher Adalberto Ibarra signed a minor league deal for a bonus in line with a late-sandwich pick in the draft, between $700,000 and $800,000.
Ibarra had originally agreed to terms on a five-year major league deal with a guarantee of $3 million and incentives that could push the value of the deal to $4.3 million. But the catcher, who defected from Cuba last year, failed his physical in late June due to what was deemed a relatively minor issue, but significant enough that the Sox were not comfortable with a major league deal with the prior parameters.
Still, both sides wanted to work out a deal, resulting in the restructured contract. Ibarra, whose bat speed and plate discipline give him a chance to be an above-average offensive catcher, spent some time rehabbing in Fort Myers before playing a handful of games in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He was then assigned to High-A Salem on Tuesday, getting his first taste of the Carolina League in a rainout before he went 1-for-5 in Salem’s 14-inning game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket