Sox, Cuban prospect Ibarra renegotiated deal after failed physical
|08.18.10 at 11:41 pm ET|
According to industry sources, Red Sox catcher Adalberto Ibarra signed a minor league deal for a bonus in line with a late-sandwich pick in the draft, between $700,000 and $800,000.
Ibarra had originally agreed to terms on a five-year major league deal with a guarantee of $3 million and incentives that could push the value of the deal to $4.3 million. But the catcher, who defected from Cuba last year, failed his physical in late June due to what was deemed a relatively minor issue, but significant enough that the Sox were not comfortable with a major league deal with the prior parameters.
Still, both sides wanted to work out a deal, resulting in the restructured contract. Ibarra, whose bat speed and plate discipline give him a chance to be an above-average offensive catcher, spent some time rehabbing in Fort Myers before playing a handful of games in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He was then assigned to High-A Salem on Tuesday, getting his first taste of the Carolina League in a rainout before he went 1-for-5 in Salem’s 14-inning game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot