Sox, Cuban prospect Ibarra renegotiated deal after failed physical
|08.18.10 at 11:41 pm ET|
According to industry sources, Red Sox catcher Adalberto Ibarra signed a minor league deal for a bonus in line with a late-sandwich pick in the draft, between $700,000 and $800,000.
Ibarra had originally agreed to terms on a five-year major league deal with a guarantee of $3 million and incentives that could push the value of the deal to $4.3 million. But the catcher, who defected from Cuba last year, failed his physical in late June due to what was deemed a relatively minor issue, but significant enough that the Sox were not comfortable with a major league deal with the prior parameters.
Still, both sides wanted to work out a deal, resulting in the restructured contract. Ibarra, whose bat speed and plate discipline give him a chance to be an above-average offensive catcher, spent some time rehabbing in Fort Myers before playing a handful of games in the Rookie Level Gulf Coast League. He was then assigned to High-A Salem on Tuesday, getting his first taste of the Carolina League in a rainout before he went 1-for-5 in Salem’s 14-inning game on Wednesday.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras