Hospitalization for Salty
|08.19.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
Just when the Red Sox seem to be getting healthy bodies back, down goes another. And while a trip to the hospital to get a sore leg checked out didn’t seem like much initially, Red Sox manager Terry Francona and team medical officials are glad they didn’t take any chances with Jarrod Saltalamacchia on Wednesday.
Saltalamacchia was taken to Massachusetts General before Wednesday’s game complaining of soreness in his lower right leg.
“[Wednesday] his right lower leg was sore so we took him over to MGH to get him looked at,” Francona said. “We thought it was going to be a quick look-at and come back. An hour turned into two and then three. He wound getting back right about game-time. He’s got an infection in his lower right leg and I believe they’ve eliminated MRSA [bacteria infection]. They’re waiting on some of the blood tests to come back on the staph.”
Francona, who is a sponsor of the website www.strikeoutinfection.com after his health scares over the last several years, said the infection is not contagious and that Saltalamacchia will be treated over the next 48-72 hours and then will get some rest at home.
Saltalamacchia was immediately placed on the 15-day disabled list and was admitted to the hospital and remained there Thursday, being treated with antibiotics while he and the team wait on test results to come back.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Moore, Miller provide heroics as Drive win in 14
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez tosses complete game, Kopech stymies Asheville
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win