Hospitalization for Salty
|08.19.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
Just when the Red Sox seem to be getting healthy bodies back, down goes another. And while a trip to the hospital to get a sore leg checked out didn’t seem like much initially, Red Sox manager Terry Francona and team medical officials are glad they didn’t take any chances with Jarrod Saltalamacchia on Wednesday.
Saltalamacchia was taken to Massachusetts General before Wednesday’s game complaining of soreness in his lower right leg.
“[Wednesday] his right lower leg was sore so we took him over to MGH to get him looked at,” Francona said. “We thought it was going to be a quick look-at and come back. An hour turned into two and then three. He wound getting back right about game-time. He’s got an infection in his lower right leg and I believe they’ve eliminated MRSA [bacteria infection]. They’re waiting on some of the blood tests to come back on the staph.”
Francona, who is a sponsor of the website www.strikeoutinfection.com after his health scares over the last several years, said the infection is not contagious and that Saltalamacchia will be treated over the next 48-72 hours and then will get some rest at home.
Saltalamacchia was immediately placed on the 15-day disabled list and was admitted to the hospital and remained there Thursday, being treated with antibiotics while he and the team wait on test results to come back.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis