Hospitalization for Salty
|08.19.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
Just when the Red Sox seem to be getting healthy bodies back, down goes another. And while a trip to the hospital to get a sore leg checked out didn’t seem like much initially, Red Sox manager Terry Francona and team medical officials are glad they didn’t take any chances with Jarrod Saltalamacchia on Wednesday.
Saltalamacchia was taken to Massachusetts General before Wednesday’s game complaining of soreness in his lower right leg.
“[Wednesday] his right lower leg was sore so we took him over to MGH to get him looked at,” Francona said. “We thought it was going to be a quick look-at and come back. An hour turned into two and then three. He wound getting back right about game-time. He’s got an infection in his lower right leg and I believe they’ve eliminated MRSA [bacteria infection]. They’re waiting on some of the blood tests to come back on the staph.”
Francona, who is a sponsor of the website www.strikeoutinfection.com after his health scares over the last several years, said the infection is not contagious and that Saltalamacchia will be treated over the next 48-72 hours and then will get some rest at home.
Saltalamacchia was immediately placed on the 15-day disabled list and was admitted to the hospital and remained there Thursday, being treated with antibiotics while he and the team wait on test results to come back.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland