Hospitalization for Salty
|08.19.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
Just when the Red Sox seem to be getting healthy bodies back, down goes another. And while a trip to the hospital to get a sore leg checked out didn’t seem like much initially, Red Sox manager Terry Francona and team medical officials are glad they didn’t take any chances with Jarrod Saltalamacchia on Wednesday.
Saltalamacchia was taken to Massachusetts General before Wednesday’s game complaining of soreness in his lower right leg.
“[Wednesday] his right lower leg was sore so we took him over to MGH to get him looked at,” Francona said. “We thought it was going to be a quick look-at and come back. An hour turned into two and then three. He wound getting back right about game-time. He’s got an infection in his lower right leg and I believe they’ve eliminated MRSA [bacteria infection]. They’re waiting on some of the blood tests to come back on the staph.”
Francona, who is a sponsor of the website www.strikeoutinfection.com after his health scares over the last several years, said the infection is not contagious and that Saltalamacchia will be treated over the next 48-72 hours and then will get some rest at home.
Saltalamacchia was immediately placed on the 15-day disabled list and was admitted to the hospital and remained there Thursday, being treated with antibiotics while he and the team wait on test results to come back.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston