Scutaro has pain in his throwing shoulder
|08.21.10 at 3:24 am ET|
On the day it was learned that Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia would be placed on the 15-day disabled list due to continuing pain in the navicular bone on his left foot — which was still healing after being fractured — shortstop Marco Scutaro that he has been battling with discomfort in the back of his right shoulder for “about two weeks.”
“I don’t know how it started,” Scutaro noted after the Red Sox’ 16-2 loss to the Blue Jays Friday night at Fenway Park. “But I have hard time reaching back on throws.”
Scutaro said that the biggest difficulty when it comes to the dealing with the ailment occurs when he is forced to extend his arm back on longer throws, and tosses where he has to come across the bag. To compensate the shortstop had altered his throwing motion, shortening up his delivery to make it a more flip-like procedure.
For much of the season Scutaro had been managing a pinched nerve in his neck, which had primarily effected the left side of his body, most notably the triceps and biceps. The injury had led to the shortstop receiving three cortisone injections over the course of the year. Despite the setbacks, Scutaro is tied with Adrian Beltre for most games played among Red Sox players this season, having participated in 119 of the Sox’ 123 games.
Scutaro is hitting .273 with an on-base percentage of .335, currently standing second on the team in runs scored (69). After notching two hits for the second straight game, Friday night, Scutaro is hitting .389 in the last five games. He was replaced in the fifth inning Friday night by rookie Yamiaco Navarro.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins