Scutaro has pain in his throwing shoulder
|08.21.10 at 3:24 am ET|
On the day it was learned that Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia would be placed on the 15-day disabled list due to continuing pain in the navicular bone on his left foot — which was still healing after being fractured — shortstop Marco Scutaro that he has been battling with discomfort in the back of his right shoulder for “about two weeks.”
“I don’t know how it started,” Scutaro noted after the Red Sox’ 16-2 loss to the Blue Jays Friday night at Fenway Park. “But I have hard time reaching back on throws.”
Scutaro said that the biggest difficulty when it comes to the dealing with the ailment occurs when he is forced to extend his arm back on longer throws, and tosses where he has to come across the bag. To compensate the shortstop had altered his throwing motion, shortening up his delivery to make it a more flip-like procedure.
For much of the season Scutaro had been managing a pinched nerve in his neck, which had primarily effected the left side of his body, most notably the triceps and biceps. The injury had led to the shortstop receiving three cortisone injections over the course of the year. Despite the setbacks, Scutaro is tied with Adrian Beltre for most games played among Red Sox players this season, having participated in 119 of the Sox’ 123 games.
Scutaro is hitting .273 with an on-base percentage of .335, currently standing second on the team in runs scored (69). After notching two hits for the second straight game, Friday night, Scutaro is hitting .389 in the last five games. He was replaced in the fifth inning Friday night by rookie Yamiaco Navarro.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg