A Few Quick Red Sox Nuggets
|08.31.10 at 9:43 am ET|
* – Neither the Red Sox or Rays ever had a lead of more than 2 runs all weekend. It’s the first series since the start of 2008 (at least) that the Red Sox have never led or trailed by 3 or more runs.
* – On Sunday night, the Red Sox lost for the 57th time this season. In those 57 games, they’ve averaged 1.07 RBI after the 5th inning and had none after the 5th in 25 of those losses (44%). To my eyes, that seemed like a very low average and a high percentage. Until I looked at the last two seasons. Last season, they averaged 0.85 such RBI in losses (and none after the 5th in 48%). In 2008, it was 0.84 and 54%.
* – Clay Buchholz had a nice August. His ERA, 1.03, was 2nd in the majors (min. 30 IP), trailing only Seattle’s Felix Hernandez (0.98). It was the 3rd best August by a Red Sox pitcher since 1950 (same minimums):
0.95 – Luis Tiant, 1972
1.01 – Mel Parnell, 1952
1.03 – Clay Buchholz, 2010
1.09 – Roger Clemens, 1990
* – Buchholz has allowed more than 3 earned runs only twice in 20 road starts (10%) since the start of last season, the 2nd lowest percentage in the majors in that span (min. 15 road starts):
9% – Felix Hernandez (3 out of 33)
10% – Clay Buchholz (2 out of 20)
11% – Chris Carpenter (3 out of 28)
The rest of Boston’s starters have allowed more than 3 ER in 41% (52 out of 126) of road starts in that span.
How far has Buchholz come? In 2008, he allowed more than 3 ER in 7 of 10 road starts (70%), the 3rd HIGHEST percentage in the majors.
* – Boston starters have an ERA of 2.63 at Camden Yards this season, yet the Red Sox are 2-4 there. Much of that is because their RELIEVERS have an ERA of 7.07. Last season, they went 8-1 in Baltimore despite a 4.30 starter ERA (and 4.55 by the pen). In 2008, they were 5-4 (starters: 4.68; relievers: 2.90). And in 2007 they were 5-3 (starters: 3.16; relievers: 4.70).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: McCarthy pitches Portland past Thunder
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel perfect in relief, Miller walks off for Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Dahlstrand cruises again in Salem's win
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson tosses complete game shutout
- Cup of Coffee: Chavis homers in 10th inning to lead Drive
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket