A Few Quick Red Sox Nuggets
|08.31.10 at 9:43 am ET|
* – Neither the Red Sox or Rays ever had a lead of more than 2 runs all weekend. It’s the first series since the start of 2008 (at least) that the Red Sox have never led or trailed by 3 or more runs.
* – On Sunday night, the Red Sox lost for the 57th time this season. In those 57 games, they’ve averaged 1.07 RBI after the 5th inning and had none after the 5th in 25 of those losses (44%). To my eyes, that seemed like a very low average and a high percentage. Until I looked at the last two seasons. Last season, they averaged 0.85 such RBI in losses (and none after the 5th in 48%). In 2008, it was 0.84 and 54%.
* – Clay Buchholz had a nice August. His ERA, 1.03, was 2nd in the majors (min. 30 IP), trailing only Seattle’s Felix Hernandez (0.98). It was the 3rd best August by a Red Sox pitcher since 1950 (same minimums):
0.95 – Luis Tiant, 1972
1.01 – Mel Parnell, 1952
1.03 – Clay Buchholz, 2010
1.09 – Roger Clemens, 1990
* – Buchholz has allowed more than 3 earned runs only twice in 20 road starts (10%) since the start of last season, the 2nd lowest percentage in the majors in that span (min. 15 road starts):
9% – Felix Hernandez (3 out of 33)
10% – Clay Buchholz (2 out of 20)
11% – Chris Carpenter (3 out of 28)
The rest of Boston’s starters have allowed more than 3 ER in 41% (52 out of 126) of road starts in that span.
How far has Buchholz come? In 2008, he allowed more than 3 ER in 7 of 10 road starts (70%), the 3rd HIGHEST percentage in the majors.
* – Boston starters have an ERA of 2.63 at Camden Yards this season, yet the Red Sox are 2-4 there. Much of that is because their RELIEVERS have an ERA of 7.07. Last season, they went 8-1 in Baltimore despite a 4.30 starter ERA (and 4.55 by the pen). In 2008, they were 5-4 (starters: 4.68; relievers: 2.90). And in 2007 they were 5-3 (starters: 3.16; relievers: 4.70).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven