A Few Quick Red Sox Nuggets
|08.31.10 at 9:43 am ET|
* – Neither the Red Sox or Rays ever had a lead of more than 2 runs all weekend. It’s the first series since the start of 2008 (at least) that the Red Sox have never led or trailed by 3 or more runs.
* – On Sunday night, the Red Sox lost for the 57th time this season. In those 57 games, they’ve averaged 1.07 RBI after the 5th inning and had none after the 5th in 25 of those losses (44%). To my eyes, that seemed like a very low average and a high percentage. Until I looked at the last two seasons. Last season, they averaged 0.85 such RBI in losses (and none after the 5th in 48%). In 2008, it was 0.84 and 54%.
* – Clay Buchholz had a nice August. His ERA, 1.03, was 2nd in the majors (min. 30 IP), trailing only Seattle’s Felix Hernandez (0.98). It was the 3rd best August by a Red Sox pitcher since 1950 (same minimums):
0.95 – Luis Tiant, 1972
1.01 – Mel Parnell, 1952
1.03 – Clay Buchholz, 2010
1.09 – Roger Clemens, 1990
* – Buchholz has allowed more than 3 earned runs only twice in 20 road starts (10%) since the start of last season, the 2nd lowest percentage in the majors in that span (min. 15 road starts):
9% – Felix Hernandez (3 out of 33)
10% – Clay Buchholz (2 out of 20)
11% – Chris Carpenter (3 out of 28)
The rest of Boston’s starters have allowed more than 3 ER in 41% (52 out of 126) of road starts in that span.
How far has Buchholz come? In 2008, he allowed more than 3 ER in 7 of 10 road starts (70%), the 3rd HIGHEST percentage in the majors.
* – Boston starters have an ERA of 2.63 at Camden Yards this season, yet the Red Sox are 2-4 there. Much of that is because their RELIEVERS have an ERA of 7.07. Last season, they went 8-1 in Baltimore despite a 4.30 starter ERA (and 4.55 by the pen). In 2008, they were 5-4 (starters: 4.68; relievers: 2.90). And in 2007 they were 5-3 (starters: 3.16; relievers: 4.70).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick