Sox press release on Delcarmen trade
|08.31.10 at 4:08 pm ET|
BOSTON, MA ‘ The Boston Red Sox today traded right-handed pitcher Manny Delcarmen and cash considerations to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for right-handed pitcher Chris Balcom-Miller, who has been assigned to Single-A Greenville. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Theo Epstein.
The 28-year-old Delcarmen has gone 3-2 with a 4.70 ERA (23 ER/44.0 IP), 32 strikeouts and 28 walks in 48 relief appearances for the Red Sox this season. A second-round selection by Boston in the 2000 First-Year Player Draft, the right-hander ranks fourth in club history with 289 relief appearances, compiling a 11-6 record with a 3.89 ERA (123 ER/284.1 IP) and 243 strikeouts over parts of six seasons with the Red Sox. Since 2008, the Boston-native ranks among American League relief leaders in appearances (T-6th, 185), innings (11th, 178.0) and strikeouts (T-17th, 148).
Balcom-Miller, 21, is 6-7 with a 3.31 ERA (40 ER/108.2 IP), 117 strikeouts and 19 walks in 19 starts for the Rockies Single-A Asheville affiliate this season. He ranks seventh in the South Atlantic League in ERA and ranks among the circuit’s starters in strikeouts per nine innings (1st, 9.69), opponent batting average (2nd, .214), fewest walks per nine innings (2nd, 1.57) and fewest base runners per nine innings (2nd, 9.77). In 2009 Balcom-Miller was named Pioneer League Pitcher of the Year after posting a 4-0 record with a 1.58 ERA (10 ER/57.0 IP) and 60 strikeouts in 11 starts for Short-A Casper. Selected by Colorado in the sixth round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, he is 10-7 with a 2.72 ERA (50 ER/165.2 IP) and 177 strikeouts compared to 29 walks in 30 career starts in the Rockies system.
With today’s moves, the Red Sox 40-man roster is now at 38.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens