Sox press release on Delcarmen trade
|08.31.10 at 4:08 pm ET|
BOSTON, MA ‘ The Boston Red Sox today traded right-handed pitcher Manny Delcarmen and cash considerations to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for right-handed pitcher Chris Balcom-Miller, who has been assigned to Single-A Greenville. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Theo Epstein.
The 28-year-old Delcarmen has gone 3-2 with a 4.70 ERA (23 ER/44.0 IP), 32 strikeouts and 28 walks in 48 relief appearances for the Red Sox this season. A second-round selection by Boston in the 2000 First-Year Player Draft, the right-hander ranks fourth in club history with 289 relief appearances, compiling a 11-6 record with a 3.89 ERA (123 ER/284.1 IP) and 243 strikeouts over parts of six seasons with the Red Sox. Since 2008, the Boston-native ranks among American League relief leaders in appearances (T-6th, 185), innings (11th, 178.0) and strikeouts (T-17th, 148).
Balcom-Miller, 21, is 6-7 with a 3.31 ERA (40 ER/108.2 IP), 117 strikeouts and 19 walks in 19 starts for the Rockies Single-A Asheville affiliate this season. He ranks seventh in the South Atlantic League in ERA and ranks among the circuit’s starters in strikeouts per nine innings (1st, 9.69), opponent batting average (2nd, .214), fewest walks per nine innings (2nd, 1.57) and fewest base runners per nine innings (2nd, 9.77). In 2009 Balcom-Miller was named Pioneer League Pitcher of the Year after posting a 4-0 record with a 1.58 ERA (10 ER/57.0 IP) and 60 strikeouts in 11 starts for Short-A Casper. Selected by Colorado in the sixth round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, he is 10-7 with a 2.72 ERA (50 ER/165.2 IP) and 177 strikeouts compared to 29 walks in 30 career starts in the Rockies system.
With today’s moves, the Red Sox 40-man roster is now at 38.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?