Lowell has a non-displaced rib fracture
|09.04.10 at 11:16 am ET|
After undergoing an MRI and CT scan Friday, it was been determined that Mike Lowell has a non-displaced fracture in one of his ribs. The injury, which doctors tell him shouldn’t prevent the first baseman from playing, was suffered in the third inning of the Red Sox‘ Aug. 20 game against the Blue Jays at Fenway Park when Lowell collided with Toronto baserunner John McDonald on a play at first base.
“I’m medically cleared to play and as long as it doesn’t bother me it should be fine,” said Lowell, who was in the lineup for the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader against the White Sox. “There’s really nothing to do. I feel fine. I feel like I’m swing the bat pretty well lately. I think I feel it more when I go through my tee routine and I get a number of swings in. That’s when I feel it. Overall I think it’s OK.”
Lowell said the team had offered a CT scan after Lowell experienced continued discomfort, but he declined, believing that it was going to get better. He was examined by both the Sox and Tampa Bay Rays‘ team doctors. The rib that was injured is toward the middle of the chest, just to the left.
“It was bruised for three or four days, and after a week went by it felt like it wasn’t getting any better and it was bothering me to get up and when I was sleeping and stuff,” said Lowell, who has hit .270 in the 11 games since the collision with McDonald.
“I don’t think it was getting any worse, but I expected to get better and it just stayed that way. The first couple of days after I expected it to get better. But I had an MRI and they told me the MRI that the No. 6 rib, close to the chest area, was the one with a non-displaced fracture.”
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell