Adrian Beltre: ‘I hope I don’t have to use [option]’
|09.21.10 at 6:46 am ET|
Speaking before the Red Sox‘ 4-2 loss to the Orioles Monday night at Fenway Park, Adrian Beltre said that he isn’t concerned about reaching the 640 plate appearances that will automatically make his $5 million player option for 2011 jump to $10 million because he doesn’t believe it will come into play. “It doesn’t matter,” said Beltre, who finished Monday with 603 plate appearances with 12 games to play. “I hope I don’t have to use it.”
Beltre has reached 640 plate appearances three times in his career, having last reached the milestone in 2006 when he totaled 681. He missed the mark by one PA in ’07, and finished with 599 last season.
“That number was set because I had done it before. I had been close to that number for a lot of years. Since the season started I never thought about numbers. I never really thought about it,” he said. “It shows I wasn’t hurt, which was one of the things I wanted to do. Hurt is one thing, but to have soreness and nagging things are another. For me being hurt is having surgery. I’ve been lucky enough that the injuries I’ve had haven’t stopped me from swinging the bat or anything like that.”
Beltre said that his latest ailment — a sprained left wrist suffered when diving for a ball Saturday night — was among the most frightening of the season in terms of threatening to make him miss time. He explained that the only other time throughout the 2011 campaign there was some doubt came when he pulled his hamstring in July.
“That thing the other day was the scariest because I thought I broke my wrist,” Beltre said. “I thought I saw the bone coming out.”
Beltre was back in the Red Sox’ lineup Monday night, going 0-for-3. He is now hitting .327 with 30 home runs and an OPS of .941.
For more Red Sox coverage see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela