Ortiz’s 2011 promise: ‘If I’m not here, I’ll be somewhere’
|09.22.10 at 11:30 pm ET|
[Click here to hear what Big Papi thinks of his prospects for playing in Boston in 2011.]
Ortiz was asked if he would consider taking a pay cut from the club option of $12.5 million for 2011 just to remain in Boston.
“I don’t feel like going anywhere else but if I have to, I have no choice,” Ortiz said. “We’ll see, we’ll see how things go. We’ll see. I took a pay cut already, five years ago. That’s some homework for you.”
Ortiz is just four RBIs shy of 100 for the season, which would be his sixth with the Red Sox and first since 2007, when he finished a run of five straight 100+ RBI campaigns. Ortiz said he wants to continue playing for the Red Sox but retiring is not part of the equation.
“If I’m not here, I’ll be somewhere,” he predicted. “I guarantee you that.”
Ortiz signed a four-year, $52 million extension at the start of the 2006 season. The Red Sox have a club option for next season at $12.5 million, with no buyout. Ortiz said he has not heard from the team as to whether they intend on picking it up or asking him to take a pay cut.
Ortiz repeated his desire to retire with the Red Sox but said after Wednesday’s win over the Orioles that he hasn’t begun to give much thought to whether he will return in 2011.
“It’s only the end of the season and things are going to start at one point,” Ortiz said. “Even myself, I haven’t been thinking about that. Sometimes, I feel like I’m part of the family and I’m going to stick around longer but I’m not the one who takes that decision and I’m not the one that makes that move. I’m trying to do my job and hopefully they do theirs after the season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven