Mike Lowell forgot to get the home run ball
|09.29.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
CHICAGO — Mike Lowell showed that he isn’t quite used to this retirement thing, yet.
After hitting a solo homer in the eighth inning of the Red Sox‘ 5-2 loss to the White Sox, Wednesday night at U.S. Cellular Field, it didn’t don on the Sox’ first baseman to have somebody get the ball just in case it was the final home run of his career.
“I didn’t and about an inning later Eric Patterson told me, ‘You should have got the ball.’ Then I kind of said, ‘Maybe I should.’ I thought about it after the fact,” said Lowell, who now has 223 home runs for his career. “If it is then I’ll just get a ball and write it in. Just trick them.”
The homer was Lowell’s first since Aug. 10 in Toronto, and just so happened to come off of a familiar foe, Chicago starter Freddy Garcia.
“I actually worked out with Freddy Garcia this offseason,” Lowell said. “He grinds it out. He’s not that 97 mph thrower anymore. He pitched well, but I’ve got bragging rights for his offseason.”
Later the 36-year-old added, “Hopefully there’s one or two more left in the tank to do something. It sure feels good to run around the bases.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs