Mike Lowell forgot to get the home run ball
|09.29.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
CHICAGO — Mike Lowell showed that he isn’t quite used to this retirement thing, yet.
After hitting a solo homer in the eighth inning of the Red Sox‘ 5-2 loss to the White Sox, Wednesday night at U.S. Cellular Field, it didn’t don on the Sox’ first baseman to have somebody get the ball just in case it was the final home run of his career.
“I didn’t and about an inning later Eric Patterson told me, ‘You should have got the ball.’ Then I kind of said, ‘Maybe I should.’ I thought about it after the fact,” said Lowell, who now has 223 home runs for his career. “If it is then I’ll just get a ball and write it in. Just trick them.”
The homer was Lowell’s first since Aug. 10 in Toronto, and just so happened to come off of a familiar foe, Chicago starter Freddy Garcia.
“I actually worked out with Freddy Garcia this offseason,” Lowell said. “He grinds it out. He’s not that 97 mph thrower anymore. He pitched well, but I’ve got bragging rights for his offseason.”
Later the 36-year-old added, “Hopefully there’s one or two more left in the tank to do something. It sure feels good to run around the bases.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Concerned Should Red Sox Be over Price's Roller-Coaster 2016?
- Latest Updates on Chris Young's Hamstring Injury
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Castillo powers PawSox
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Team
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes