Mike Lowell forgot to get the home run ball
|09.29.10 at 11:37 pm ET|
CHICAGO — Mike Lowell showed that he isn’t quite used to this retirement thing, yet.
After hitting a solo homer in the eighth inning of the Red Sox‘ 5-2 loss to the White Sox, Wednesday night at U.S. Cellular Field, it didn’t don on the Sox’ first baseman to have somebody get the ball just in case it was the final home run of his career.
“I didn’t and about an inning later Eric Patterson told me, ‘You should have got the ball.’ Then I kind of said, ‘Maybe I should.’ I thought about it after the fact,” said Lowell, who now has 223 home runs for his career. “If it is then I’ll just get a ball and write it in. Just trick them.”
The homer was Lowell’s first since Aug. 10 in Toronto, and just so happened to come off of a familiar foe, Chicago starter Freddy Garcia.
“I actually worked out with Freddy Garcia this offseason,” Lowell said. “He grinds it out. He’s not that 97 mph thrower anymore. He pitched well, but I’ve got bragging rights for his offseason.”
Later the 36-year-old added, “Hopefully there’s one or two more left in the tank to do something. It sure feels good to run around the bases.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins