Adrian Beltre’s player option jumps up to $10 million
|10.01.10 at 12:18 am ET|
CHICAGO — Adrian Beltre’s player option for 2011 officially doubled, from $5 million to $10 million, after he reached 640 plate appearances for the season with his three at-bats in the Red Sox‘ 8-2 loss to the White Sox, Thursday night at U.S. Cellular Field. Beltre, who came into the game with 638 plate appearances, hadn’t reached the level of PA’s since 2006, when he finished with 681. The third baseman has now had at least 640 plate appearances four times in his career.
Even with option jumping up by $5 million, it almost certainly won’t factor into Beltre’s approach to committing to a team this offseason. He inked the one-year, $10 million deal with the Red Sox prior to the 2010 campaign with an eye on securing a multi-year deal following the season. The plan has worked for the 31-year-old, who is hitting .321 with 28 home runs and an OPS of .923.
“It doesn’t mean anything to me,” said Beltre, who has played in 154 of the Sox’ 159 games this season. “It’s a testament that I was able to stay healthy, and be in the lineup almost every day. But that’s it.”
Beltre said coming into the season’s final week that the clause in the contract was never thought as something that wouldn’t be attained.
‘That number was set because I had done it before. I had been close to that number for a lot of years. Since the season started I never thought about numbers. I never really thought about it,’ he said on Sept. 21. ‘It shows I wasn’t hurt, which was one of the things I wanted to do. Hurt is one thing, but to have soreness and nagging things are another. For me being hurt is having surgery. I’ve been lucky enough that the injuries I’ve had haven’t stopped me from swinging the bat or anything like that.’
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced