You want Mike Lowell Day, you’ve got Mike Lowell Day
|10.02.10 at 5:35 pm ET|
– Seated in a row of chairs near third base were: Principal owner John Henry, team president Larry Lucchino, manager Terry Francona, Lowell’s father, Carl, and his wife, Bertha, and two young children, Anthony and Alexis. Making surprise appearances were former teammates Mike Redmond and Alex Cora, with current teammate Josh Beckett also joining the group.
– Once all the particulars were introduced, the team played a highlight reel on the Fenway Park video board.
– The gifts given to Lowell were: Stone crabs (from the Florida Marlins), a watch, third base (which Beckett went over, plucked from the infield, and gave to Lowell), and a $100,000 check written out to the Mike Lowell Foundation.
– Carl Lowell took the mound to throw out the first pitch, tossing a near-strike to his son.
– Lowell joined his two children in delivery the scorecard for the Red Sox at home plate.
Here is what the retiring infielder had to say:
“First of all, I’d like to thank the Red Sox organization for this great ceremony and a very generous check, I really appreciate it, that’s really unbelievable. I’d also like to thank my family, friends, teammates, ex-teammates, my minor league coaches, believe it or not over there , and hopefully the silver place winners today for the game. They’ve come a long way, a lot of people and you guys have meant so much to me over my career. I really don’t know where to go from there. I just want to say thank you for that. You know, I’m kind of at a loss for words to kind of explain the emotions I’ve felt over the last five years with respect to the support and the positive responses I’ve gotten from Red Sox fans. I think it’s your passion and your knowledge for baseball that I’ll truly miss, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget. So I just want to thank God for allowing me the privilege and the opportunity to wear this jersey, to play in this ballpark, to repsresent the city of boston and to share so many memories with all of you. Thanks you very much.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez continues to swing hot bat
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello