Sox remove Cash, Brown, Manuel from 40-man roster
|10.08.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
The Red Sox have removed catchers Dusty Brown and Kevin Cash as well as right-handed pitcher Robert Manuel from their 40-man roster. All three will become free agents five days after the World Series.
Cash was acquired from the Astros in the middle of the season, when the Sox had four catchers on their 40-man roster (Victor Martinez, Jason Varitek, Mark Wagner and Brown) on the disabled list. Cash, in his second stint with the Sox, played in 29 games, hitting .133 with a .374 OPS while driving in one. He received raves from the Sox for his clubhouse impact.
Brown appeared in seven games, going 3-for-12 with a pair of runs batted in. The 28-year-old was in his 10th year in the Sox organization.
Manuel, claimed off waivers from the Mariners last offseason, had a 4.26 ERA in 10 appearances for the Red Sox, holding opponents to a .213 average. The 27-year-old’s most notable outing of the season, however, came when he issued a pair of bases-loaded walks against the White Sox on Sept. 5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday