Sox remove Cash, Brown, Manuel from 40-man roster
|10.08.10 at 5:19 pm ET|
The Red Sox have removed catchers Dusty Brown and Kevin Cash as well as right-handed pitcher Robert Manuel from their 40-man roster. All three will become free agents five days after the World Series.
Cash was acquired from the Astros in the middle of the season, when the Sox had four catchers on their 40-man roster (Victor Martinez, Jason Varitek, Mark Wagner and Brown) on the disabled list. Cash, in his second stint with the Sox, played in 29 games, hitting .133 with a .374 OPS while driving in one. He received raves from the Sox for his clubhouse impact.
Brown appeared in seven games, going 3-for-12 with a pair of runs batted in. The 28-year-old was in his 10th year in the Sox organization.
Manuel, claimed off waivers from the Mariners last offseason, had a 4.26 ERA in 10 appearances for the Red Sox, holding opponents to a .213 average. The 27-year-old’s most notable outing of the season, however, came when he issued a pair of bases-loaded walks against the White Sox on Sept. 5.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)