Fenway Park right field fence may be moved in
|10.19.10 at 4:19 pm ET|
The re-structuring, which is pending approval from the Massachusetts Preservation Society, among other city-centric organizations, would be necessitated because of the width of the bullpens. The distance across for bullpens recommended by Major League Baseball is 27 feet, with the Fenway bullpens standing at 21 feet.
“We’ve provided some plans if it is approved, but we have to talk to the landmark people about that,” Lucchino said. Regarding the bullpens, the Red Sox executive explained, “They’re among the narrowest in baseball, if not the narrowest. It makes it hard for two guys to warm-up. It does have other effects in terms of reducing the depths of right field, which is among the deepest in baseball.”
Lucchino pointed out that the Fenway Park dimensions have been altered in the past, having once been deeper than their current distance of 380-feet to straight-away right field. The following is how right field has been altered over the years (according to Ballparks.com):
Deepest corner, just right of center: 550 (1922), 593 (1931), 420 (1934).
Right-center, just right of deepest corner where the bullpen begins: 380 (1938), 383 (1955).
Right of right-center: 405 (1939), 382 (1940), 381 (1942), 380 (1943).
Right field: 313.5 (1921), 358.5 (1926), 358 (1930), 325 (1931), 358 (1933), 334 (1934), 332 (1936), 322 (1938), 332 (1939), 304 ;(1940), 302 (1942).
For more Red Sox coverage, see the team page at weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller