Baseball America breaks down Red Sox draft
|10.20.10 at 2:43 pm ET|
Baseball America issued its annual draft report cards on Wednesday, suggesting that in their first draft under scouting director Amiel Sawdaye (who replaced Jason McLeod, who left to become Assistant GM in San Diego), “looked at talent rather than price tags and aggressively signed far more than their share of prospects.”
The complete Report Card is available (for Baseball America subscribers) by clicking here.
A few items of note from their evaluation of the team’s draft:
–While first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek is generally viewed as the most advanced hitter the Sox took in the draft, the Report Card suggested that high school second baseman Sean Coyle, who signed for $1.3 million to pass on a scholarship at UNC, could be the best pure hitter in the draft. The small-framed middle infielder shows surprising pop, as became evident when he homered early in Florida Instructional League.
–Sandwich pick Bryce Brentz was described as the best power hitting prospect (no surprise, given the Sox’ description of him as someone with light-tower power after drafting him), and was also noted for being potentially the best defensive player taken by the Sox, someone with a chance to be an above-average right-fielder.
–No surprise to see that Anthony Ranaudo, who received a $2.55 million bonus as a sandwich pick out of LSU, was named in the Closest to the Majors category. He was joined, however, by a less-heralded colleague who agreed to sign with the Sox at almost exactly the same moment as Ranaudo.
Both Ranaudo and left-hander Chris Hernandez agreed to deals with the Sox with roughly two minutes left before the Aug. 16 signing deadline. And while Ranaudo could be on a fast-track to a big league rotation, the Report Card suggested that Hernandez could beat Ranaudo to the majors as a left-handed reliever.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller