Baseball America breaks down Red Sox draft
|10.20.10 at 2:43 pm ET|
Baseball America issued its annual draft report cards on Wednesday, suggesting that in their first draft under scouting director Amiel Sawdaye (who replaced Jason McLeod, who left to become Assistant GM in San Diego), “looked at talent rather than price tags and aggressively signed far more than their share of prospects.”
The complete Report Card is available (for Baseball America subscribers) by clicking here.
A few items of note from their evaluation of the team’s draft:
–While first-rounder Kolbrin Vitek is generally viewed as the most advanced hitter the Sox took in the draft, the Report Card suggested that high school second baseman Sean Coyle, who signed for $1.3 million to pass on a scholarship at UNC, could be the best pure hitter in the draft. The small-framed middle infielder shows surprising pop, as became evident when he homered early in Florida Instructional League.
–Sandwich pick Bryce Brentz was described as the best power hitting prospect (no surprise, given the Sox’ description of him as someone with light-tower power after drafting him), and was also noted for being potentially the best defensive player taken by the Sox, someone with a chance to be an above-average right-fielder.
–No surprise to see that Anthony Ranaudo, who received a $2.55 million bonus as a sandwich pick out of LSU, was named in the Closest to the Majors category. He was joined, however, by a less-heralded colleague who agreed to sign with the Sox at almost exactly the same moment as Ranaudo.
Both Ranaudo and left-hander Chris Hernandez agreed to deals with the Sox with roughly two minutes left before the Aug. 16 signing deadline. And while Ranaudo could be on a fast-track to a big league rotation, the Report Card suggested that Hernandez could beat Ranaudo to the majors as a left-handed reliever.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome