Gammons on Big Show: Sox ‘very worried’ about losing Farrell
|10.22.10 at 4:38 pm ET|
Hall of Fame reporter Peter Gammons of the MLB Network and NESN checked into The Big Show from Arlington, Texas, to discuss the playoffs, the forthcoming winter Cliff Lee sweepstakes and the likelihood that a Red Sox coach will be selected to be the next Blue Jays manager, with a decision likely being known as soon as tonight.
Gammons said that the Toronto front office is split between Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale and pitching coach John Farrell, with GM Alex Anthopolous advocating Hale and assistant GM Tony LaCava and others backing Farrell. That said, Gammons suggested that the Red Sox are “very worried” about the possibility of losing Farrell, given the difficulty of replacing someone who does so much to manage such a diverse pitching staff.
“I had three people yesterday who are very close to a couple of Toronto people tell me that it was definitely going to be John Farrell. But I was told during the night that Alex, the general manager, told the Red Sox people that he still hasn’t made up his mind, that DeMarlo Hale really appeals to him. He leans towards DeMarlo Hale, and Tony LaCava and other people lean towards Farrell,” said Gammons. “I think you may know by tonight. I think that decision is supposed to be made and they’re supposed to let the Red Sox know by tonight whether it’s going to be DeMarlo or John.
“DeMarlo Hale is tremendous. I’m a huge fan, going back to when he set the record in the Eastern League for winning percentage in Trenton (in 1997) when he had David Eckstein and those guys. But I think the Red Sox know that it’s going to be really difficult, given the pitching staff, to replace John Farrell. There just isn’t anybody out there right now. … I don’t really think they know what direction they’re going in when John leaves. I think they’re worried about this. Very worried.”
For Gammons’ thoughts on why Cliff Lee might leave the Yankees empty-handed — both in the playoffs, and this offseason — as well as the Sox’ offseason, click here. To listen to the interview, check the Big Show Audio-on-Demand page.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Longhi, Watkins power Greenville playoff push