Gammons on Big Show: Sox ‘very worried’ about losing Farrell
|10.22.10 at 4:38 pm ET|
Hall of Fame reporter Peter Gammons of the MLB Network and NESN checked into The Big Show from Arlington, Texas, to discuss the playoffs, the forthcoming winter Cliff Lee sweepstakes and the likelihood that a Red Sox coach will be selected to be the next Blue Jays manager, with a decision likely being known as soon as tonight.
Gammons said that the Toronto front office is split between Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale and pitching coach John Farrell, with GM Alex Anthopolous advocating Hale and assistant GM Tony LaCava and others backing Farrell. That said, Gammons suggested that the Red Sox are “very worried” about the possibility of losing Farrell, given the difficulty of replacing someone who does so much to manage such a diverse pitching staff.
“I had three people yesterday who are very close to a couple of Toronto people tell me that it was definitely going to be John Farrell. But I was told during the night that Alex, the general manager, told the Red Sox people that he still hasn’t made up his mind, that DeMarlo Hale really appeals to him. He leans towards DeMarlo Hale, and Tony LaCava and other people lean towards Farrell,” said Gammons. “I think you may know by tonight. I think that decision is supposed to be made and they’re supposed to let the Red Sox know by tonight whether it’s going to be DeMarlo or John.
“DeMarlo Hale is tremendous. I’m a huge fan, going back to when he set the record in the Eastern League for winning percentage in Trenton (in 1997) when he had David Eckstein and those guys. But I think the Red Sox know that it’s going to be really difficult, given the pitching staff, to replace John Farrell. There just isn’t anybody out there right now. … I don’t really think they know what direction they’re going in when John leaves. I think they’re worried about this. Very worried.”
For Gammons’ thoughts on why Cliff Lee might leave the Yankees empty-handed — both in the playoffs, and this offseason — as well as the Sox’ offseason, click here. To listen to the interview, check the Big Show Audio-on-Demand page.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero powers PawSox past IronPigs
- April Players of the Month: Andrew Benintendi and Teddy Stankiewicz
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada hits grand slam to lead Salem sweep
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs