Kelly gets shelled in Arizona Fall League start
|10.26.10 at 2:00 am ET|
Top Red Sox prospect Casey Kelly was hit hard in his Monday outing in the Arizona Fall League, allowing eight runs on eight hits in just two innings of work for the Peoria Javelinas. Kelly struck out two, walked one and allowed a homer. Kelly threw 46 pitches, 28 for strikes.
The outing represented a dramatic departure for Kelly, who had excelled in his first two AFL outings. Prior to Monday, he’d allowed three runs (one earned) in nine innings while allowing six hits, walking two and striking out six.
Despite the tough outing, Kelly sounded an upbeat note on his twitter page.
“Its games like these that make you a better player. Adversity is a great thing really shows what kinda player you are,” he wrote.
Kelly is expected to throw 15-20 innings in the AFL in order to make up the innings that he missed at the end of his season with Double-A Portland due to a strained lat muscle.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies