Red Sox pitching coach search takes shape: Curt Young impresses
|10.26.10 at 4:10 pm ET|
According to a baseball source, the Red Sox interviewed former Oakland pitching coach Curt Young on Monday about the vacancy for the position of pitching coach that was created by the departure of John Farrell, who left to become the manager of the Blue Jays. Young, according to the source, was the most impressive of the external candidates with whom the club has talked thus far.
Young spent the last seven seasons as the Athletics pitching coach. In 2010, the young Oakland staff led the American League with a 3.58 ERA. But after 27 years in the A’s organization as a player and coach, Young turned down the team’s offer on Sunday, and he appears to be a strong early candidate to succeed Farrell.
That said, the interview process remains ongoing for the Sox. Later this week, the team will interview a pair of internal candidates: Mike Cather, who served as an advance scout in 2010 after three years working in Double-A Portland (2007-09) and one with High-A Wilmington (2006), and Ralph Treuel, who has spent the last four years as the organization’s roving minor league pitching instructor. Treuel also spent part of the 2006 season as the Sox bullpen coach, and served briefly as the team’s pitching coach in Sept. 2001.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs
- Cup of Coffee: Kelly eyes return to Boston with 10 strikeouts