Monday’s Headlines recap: George Clooney gets married; ‘Saturday Night Live’ starts 40th season; National Science Foundation spends $300K on bike study
|09.29.14 at 9:26 am ET|
— Actor and longtime bachelor George Clooney, who had vowed he would never get married again, married human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin less than a year after they met. Fellow actors Bill Murray, Matt Damon and John Krasinski were among the guests.
“She’s not in his top-10 list of girlfriends,” Dennis said.
Replied Callahan: “Yeah, but she’s the marrying kind, that’s the difference.”
The wedding was held in Venice, Italy, a place that Callahan did not seem to be fond of.
“They had it in that filthy city of Venice,” Callahan said. “Just a disgusting, dirty place. It’s the ultimate tourist trap. … It’s dirty, the water’s filthy, it smells.”
— “Saturday Night Live” began its 40th season on NBC this weekend. The show was hosted by actor Chris Pratt and had an opening skit about the problems with domestic abuse in the NFL.
The hosts played a clip of the the football skit, and they were not amused by the attempted humor.
“It goes on for 3 1/2 minutes and there’s not a chuckle,” Callahan said. “It was so uncomfortably bad.”
“Chris Pratt was terrible as [Roger] Goodell,” Minihane said. “Not even terrible, he wasn’t funny. It was awful.”
Said Dennis: “Maybe [SNL] is finally like [Derek] Jeter. It stayed a year too long.”
— The National Science Foundation spent $300,000 on a study that dealt with human interaction with bicycles. A House committee calls the study a “waste.” The purpose of the project was to encourage more Americans to bike to lower their carbon footprint.
“I think most people know by the time they’re like 8 how to interact with a bicycle,” Callahan said.
- Aaron Eriskin on Sizing up the competition
- Tim on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- gibby on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Kevin Miller on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Captain on Mrs. Football vs. Miss Alabama
- Har in Vancouver on DJ Steve Porter ‘Can’t Wait’
- SeamusNH on Happy couple caught in the act
- Lollipop on The Lovely Donna Simpson…Smokin!
- RICK ALLEN on The Red Sox new theme song!
- MARJE on Susanne Eman — Wants to be worlds fattest woman