Dustin Pedroia on The Big Show: ‘I hope [Cliff Lee] is not in pinstripes’
|10.28.10 at 1:44 am ET|
Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia called into The Big Show on Wednesday to announce that he will join the program each Wednesday during the offseason, starting on Nov. 10, in the offseason return of The Laser Show. In addition to the announcement, the 2007 American League Rookie of the Year and ’08 Most Valuable Player discussed both the state of his left foot following the insertion of a pin in his foot in September and the postseason.
Pedroia, who grew up rooting for the Giants and would like to see San Francisco win, has taken note of the dominance of Rangers left-hander Cliff Lee. Based on personal experience and the glimpse of Lee during these playoffs, Pedroia would prefer that the free-agent-to-be sign somewhere other than with the Yankees this offseason.
“I don’t think about that,” Pedroia said. “We faced Cliff a lot, he’s pretty darn good. You saw what he did to the Yankees. He goes out there and pounds the zone with a 91, 92 MPH fastball and it looks like it’s about 100 MPH. He hides the ball real well. He throws it where he wants. He’s pretty special. I hope he’s not over there in pinstripes.”
Highlights of the interview are below. To listen to the complete interview, click here.
You’ll be taking phone calls, but please tell the listeners not to spend all their time listing off your accomplishments.
I don’t need a confidence-booster people. I’ve got lots of confidence.
How are you doing?
I just got done doing my rehab. I’m still in the boot right now. It’s kind of a long way back. But I’m going to beat this thing. It’s a tough injury, but I can’t wait to get to spring training and get going. I know the season is still going this year, but I missed a lot of games. I’m excited.
On the World Series:
I think it’s going to be a great series. One of the best offenses in baseball and a great pitching staff.
Have you been watching Cliff Lee and wondering about whether he’ll be with the Yankees next year?
“I don’t think about that. We faced Cliff a lot, he’s pretty darn good. You saw what he did to the Yankees. He goes out there and pounds the zone with a 91, 92 MPH fastball and it looks like it’s about 100 MPH. He hides the ball real well. He throws it where he wants. He’s pretty special. I hope he’s not over there in pinstripes.
You grew up rooting for the Giants. Are you rooting for them now?
I want to see the Giants win. They were my team growing up. If we’re not winning, I’d like to see the Giants win one in San Francisco. That’d be great for them. … The Giants’ story is pretty cool. Cody Ross was put on waivers. I know him real well. For him to step up the way he has, just a lot of guys that not a lot of people have heard of, have stepped up and come through. It’s pretty cool to watch.
How are you feeling?
I’m feeling a lot better. I’ll be 100 percent when spring training comes. I’ll be ready to go. I’ve got a lot of energy and a lot of stuff built up from missing a lot of the year, so I expect good things.
What’s the timetable for your rehab?
It’s supposed to be 12 weeks from the surgery. I had the surgery Sept. 3. They said I should be around 100 percent 12 weeks after surgery. It’s going well right now. I should be out of the boot in about three weeks, so we’ll see how it goes.
Brett Favre seems like he will try to play in a boot.
I don’t know how he’s doing that. That’s going to be tough.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville